Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Canadian Information needed please.

A friend of mine has asked me for help with her grandparents and great grandparents.

It's like giving a dog a bone.LOL I couldn't say no.

BUT I think I have bitten off more than I can chew.

I am looking for Rudolf (Rudolph) AZULAY.....He came from England.
GRO birth information:

Rudolf Roy Azulay March qtr 1897 Tendring Essex 4a 625.
mothers maiden name Roy.(Eva)
He had 6 brother & three sisters.

Ronald DOB 1917 Came to Canada 1955.
He had been living in Somerset prior to his departure.
Paul DOB 1900
Came to Canada 1919
Olaf DOB 1909
Came to Canada 1925.

Using FMP I could not turn up one census with him on it. His father is Moses Albert Azulay. Pancras 1b 33 Dec qtr 1869 mmn Isaac.

I am presuming the family is Jewish. Probably Sephardic.

I don't have a subscription to Ancestry anymore but noticed that they do have an arrival date for him in Canada which I can't access.

Rudolph(Roy) I think was single when he arrived here in Canada.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Re: Canadian Information needed please.

According to a tree on ancestry he was in Sidmouth Devon in 1911. 1921 Nov 28th has him marrying Ada Victoria (Sullivan) Robinson in Dunrobin Ontario.

Hi Elaine

1911 Census - Roy Azulay Wallace B 1897, Living in Sidmouth with family:

Father - Albert Azulay Wallce
Mother - Eva Azulay Wallace

Marle Azulay Wallace
Paul Azulay Wallace
Olaf Azulay Wallace
Olive Azulay Wallace

Rudolph Azulay travels to Canada aged 18 to go to his Brother in Kingston Ont. Was a Photographer in UK - going to be a Farmer with his brother in Canada.

Both from Familysearch - images available

Denise

Thanks Ladies,

Thats pushed me to look for them on Family Search.

BUT why the added name of Wallace.

Oh well more to look into.

Thanks again.

Elaine.

Elaine, this may be relevant:
Wallace is an anglicised version of an Ashkenazi Jewish name (Hebrew Gershom) meaning stranger or foreigner.

Dave

Hi Elaine,
Following on from the thread so far. There is a fairly extensive Tree on Family Search which also is showing Roy Rudolph Azulay's wife, Ada Victoria Sullivan, was originally born Robinson and adopted by Silas and Mary Jane Sullivan. The marriage certificates also on Fam. Search are showing they were both Methodist...??? and Ada V. was born in Montreal.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Hi Dave,

Thats really interesting. I was just going to call my neighbour who is Jewish to see if anything clicked with her.

Thanks Elaine.

Its interesting research.

Hi Wendy,

Finally managed to get into FamilySearch and can see what you managed to find.

I can understand why my friend was having problems with her research.

No wonder I couldn't find them in any church registers. LOL.

Elaine.

There is an extremely extensive tree on ancestry for the Azulay family going back to 1732. The place of birth etc seems to be Jerusalem.

There is a tree on MyHeritage with Rudolp Ray Azulay and some of his descendants. It says that he was born Nov 14 1896, died Nov 8 1980 and was buried at the Dunrobin United Church, Carleton (Incl. Ottawa), Ontario, Canada. The burial record linked to that as a source says:

Name Roy Azulay
Birth 1896
Death 1980
Age 84
Burial Dunrobin United / Wesleyan Methodist Cemetery, Carleton County, Ontario, Canada

Cheers,

Andrew P.

The plot thickens
Albert Maurice Azulay married Eva Roy in Colchester q1 1894

Dave

I had seen this also.

So many twists and turns.

Elaine.

Elaine
FMP Newspapers has 6 articles on a search for Albert Azulay. He was otherwise known as Wallace and he deserted his wife Eva. There may be more details in the originals.
Dave

Hats off to Dave T for finding that information. I couldn’t find those articles at all, but did find some different ones which might be interesting:

In 1895 Bernard Augustine Bowhay, of Walton-on-the-Naze, was charged with threatening Albert Azulay, photographer. Bernard pulled faces through the studio window to such an extant that Albert’s assistant was frightened and fell ill, Bernard then started waving a knife around. Albert and Bernard had been on friendly terms up to then. Bowhay was “excited” and “abusive” in court and had been the subject of several complaints. Essex Herald 2 July 1895 and Essex Standard 29 June 1895

(Bernard Bowhay did have some issues and had received treatment for them. Also, I think that he might have understated his age, joined the the Canadian Infantry in WW1 and been killed in France. Having no known grave he’s commemorated on the Vimy memorial. Off the point completely but I feel he deserves some respect.)

Anyway, Albert was sued in 1924 for rent on a cottage in Devon. He owed £4/5s and was being evicted. The annual rent was £6/10s. Albert lost the case. Exeter and Plymouth Gazette 7 February 1924.

I think that he owed over 7 months rent. £6/10s a year works out nicely to 10s/10d a month, but then I ran out of fingers trying to work out how many months that is because it’s a while since I did sums in real money.

In 1925 Albert was sued in Honiton County Court, for £11/4s/11d “in respect of the supply food and rent of rooms.” He put in a counterclaim for £161/18s, but supplied no details and lost the case. Exeter and Plymouth Gazette 2 December 1925.

In 1927 Albert (“Azulay otherwise Wallace”) was sued in Honiton for £12/15s back rent, counter-claimed for £16/8s/8d but failed to appear in court and lost the case. His son had cycled there and said that Albert had waited in the for the postman and was on his way on foot. Western Morning News 08 November 1927

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Andrew
£6 10s pa was 2/6d per week. So he owed exactly 18 weeks
Dave
Oops, correction 34 weeks exactly. Decimal is so much easier

Susan that fits with more information that Sandy has just sent me.

I think I have managed with FMP to get back to the Judah Azulay (Azuelos) who came from Gibraltar.

Then a Henry married to Clara 1871/1881 census.

Then Moses (Albert) followed by Rudlph/Roy Azulay. 1896.

Not an easy family to follow.

I am sure Sandy will be interested in the newspaper articles. Thank you for looking.

Never followed a Jewish Family before interesting but confusing.

Thanks everybody.

Elaine.

The Morning Chronicle 15 April 1858 (page 3) has a couple of quotes from Judah Azuelos, appearing as a witness in the trial of Abraham Carvalho who was accused of various offences.

“Mr. Judah Azuelos said: I am assistant secretary to the Portuguese Synagogue, Bevis Marks. I have seen the prisoner at our vestry-room once or twice to receive relief. I do not know of any society for the protection of Portuguese Jews. I have been connected with the Synagogue nearly twenty years. We have a loan society for lending money to Portuguese Jews. I am connected with that society. We had not undertaken to lend the prisoner any money for the purchase of goods. He had no authority from the society to apply to Mr. Halle. We consider the prisoner a pauper from his having received relief from the Synagogue.”

“Mr. Azuelos: Eight out of nine applicants for relief are foreigners, to the detriment of our native poor, In the position in which I am placed it is exceedingly painful to observe the importunate manner in which foreigners prefer their claims for charity, as if they had a right to demand, instead of soliciting assistance. An Englishman will always take an answer, but these foreigners generally subject us to the greatest abuse when their wishes are not complied with.”

There is a tiny Sheffield link because Abraham Carvalho had tried to pinch some penknives from the warehouse of “Mr. A. Cox, of 51, Hounsditch, Birmingham and Sheffield”.

Bevis Marks is a street in the City of London, and the synagogue is still there. It has a very interesting history.

(Thanks to Dave T. for the maths lesson! It eventually clicked with me that it’s much easier to work out on a weekly basis at 2/6 per week The landlord maybe priced it at two-and-a tanner on purpose).

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Another twist to the story.

It seems that Henry Azulay on the 1871 census was incorrect, he was actually Issac which I have been able to follow.

My friend here in Ottawa is sending for his marriage cert to Clara as I have found two possibilities for his father. We will shortly be able to put this line of research on the back burner.

Interesting research.

Elaine.