Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help please Mary Hannah Truelove later Mary hannah Smith

Can anyone find Mary after 1897?

She was born in late 1877 - birth registered in December 1/4

She married Willis Reuben Smith on 15th Nov 1896 at parish church of St Mary, Sheffield.

She registered my grandmothers birth mary Victoria Smith - born 26th June 1897 at Ct 2 King James street, Nether Hallam - on 3rd Aug 1897.

I can find no trace of Mary Hannah after this.

In 1901 and 1911 my grandmother and Willis are in Sheffield, but Mary Hannah is not with them.
Willis is described as married on both census.

Any help or suggestions please?

Re: Help please Mary Hannah Truelove later Mary hannah Smith

Hi Jane,

Interestingly in the 1911 census Willis has put dashes in the columns for length of present marriage, number of children born to the present marriage etc. I’m not sure what to make of that.

Heths

Julie,

I found some relevant information in the press, she had split up with Willis Smith and five years after her first marriage thought it would be OK to remarry (she told her new husband that Willis was dead and buried).

The Sheffield Daily Telegraph Thursday 06 February 1902 says that Mary Hannah Smith, 27, who had been living at 70 Chester Street, was charged with bigamy. It said that she had married Willis Reuben Smith in St Mary's on 15 November 1896, and around 1898 obtained a separation order from her husband on the grounds of his cruelty. She then "went through the form of marriage" with a cab driver, Charles Thomas Peacock, of 70, Chester Street, on 18 November 1901 in St. Silas's. Charles Peackock was very happy with Mary Hannah (according to his testimony) but Willis had got an arrest warrant organised somehow.

A bit later - Sheffield Daily Telegraph Thursday 13 March 1902 they followed up with information on the trial at the assizes. Mary Hannah turned up at the assizes very distressed and dressed in mourning. She pleaded guilty. Three weeks hard labour, carried down to the cells by two female warders. (The Judge said he wanted to merciful - I don't know what the typical range of sentences was or what the relevant statue provided for).

Cheers,

Andrew P.

A tree on Ancestry has another marriage to john henry jones and a child born 1917 florence jones.

Found Charles Peacock on Milton St in the 1939 register.
He was living alone and listed as single.

Heths

Hi

In 1911, Mary is living at Watkin's Cottages Huyton Liverpool, Huyton with Roby, Lancs.
John Henry Jones Head Single 24 1887 House Painter Whiston Lancs
Mary Hannah Smith Housekeeper Married 35 1876 Housekeeper Domestic Sheffield Yorks
Charles Edward Smith Housekeeper's Son 8 1903 - Sheffield Yorks

In 1939, Mary is living at 1 Withnell Road, Liverpool

John H Jones 52
Mary Jones 62
Florence Jones 24

Possible death-
Name: Mary H Jones
Death Age: 79
Birth Date: abt 1878
Registration Date: Jul 1957
Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep
Registration District: Liverpool North
Volume: 10d
Page: 160

Hope this helps.

Sue

Many thanks for all your replies.

I had wondered if she had entered into a bigamous marriage, and this has now been confirmed.

I had found the census info for 1911 in Liverpool, and thought it may be her.

Thanks again

hi

This is the birth register for daughter Florence on the 1939 register.

SMITH, FLORENCE JONES TRUELOVE
GRO Reference: 1915 M Quarter in PRESCOT Volume 08B Page 1469

So the Mary in 1911 in Liverpool seems to be the correct one.

Sue