Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Baptism mystery

I have just found some baptisms on here from family members I have researched thoroughly already, but I have found that some of the children were baptised in the mothers maiden name, has anyone come across this before?

The parents married in 1861 (all children born after that) and all the children on marriage certs, census etc are with the surname HEAP, however there are three children that were baptised (or so it appears from the baptisms here on SI), I have checked the GRO and the 3 children were also given the mothers maiden name KAYE.

HEAP, Elsie (of Newhall Hotel, born 1883-01-20).
Baptised August 9, 1883, by W F Francis at Christ Church, Attercliffe.
Parents name(s) are Martha & Miles (Licensed Victualler).
Note: Private
Godparents: ~ :Page No 8 :Reg No 58
Similar Date Baptised Same Household if Available Surname Match if Available

HEAP, Julia (of Nelson Street, born 1866-04-13).
Baptised March 19, 1882, by G Depledge at Christ Church, Attercliffe.
Parents name(s) are Martha Hannah & Miles (Publican).
Note: ~
Godparents: ~ :Page No 142 :Reg No 1136

HEAPS, Fred Kay (of Worthing Road, born 1878-06-29).
Baptised October 30, 1878, by T Bowen at Christ Church, Attercliffe.
Parents name(s) are Martha Ann & Miles (Bookkeeper).
Godparents: ~ :Page No 269 :Reg No 2149

HEAPS, George Walter (of Worthing Road, born 1876-05-05).
Baptised November 6, 1876, by G Depledge at Christ Church, Attercliffe.
Godparents: ~ :Page No 177 :Reg No 1410

Kaye, Clara (of Talbot Place, born ~). (born 1870 my edit)
Baptised November 3, 1875, by George Pollard at St John, Park.
Note:
Godparents: ~ :Page No 38 :Reg No 297

Kaye, Fanny (of Talbot Place, born ~). (Born 1896 my edit)
Note:
Godparents: ~ :Page No 37 :Reg No 296

Kaye, William Henry (of Talbot Place, born 1873-12-05).
Note:
Godparents: ~ :Page No 38 :Reg No 298

One thought did cross my mind that the three children could have been the daughters children, but that doesn't marry up timescale wise and in any case the eldest daughter was born in wedlock with the surname HEAP.

They had a total of 12 children(!) but this threw me a little when I found this this morning.

Anyone any ideas or thoughts?

Re: Baptism mystery

Hi Richard,

I don't know if this has any bearing on it, but in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph,
21 July 1875, there was a petition filed at the Sheffield Bankrupcy Court of behalf
of Mr Miles Heap of Norfolk Vaults, Dixon Lane, Innkeeper.
Liabilities estimated to be £700.

Moira.

Hi Moira,

I have seen that before, he appears to have had a few troubles with money if I recall from reading a few articles I found in the papers.

I did wonder if they split for a while and was done because of that, but I have found no evidence showing it.

Thanks for looking!

Richard

Apologies for doing this, but I thought i'd bump this back up to see if anyone who may not have seen this when I posted it can offer any insight.

Thanks

Richard

I have never heard of it happening but I suppose its just a misunderstanding.

As you said there are 12 in total The gap betwwen Julia & Clara jumps out at you.
Many were not baptised for years after their births so it was obvousley not a priority.

Fanny her DOB you have entered as 1896 but she was baptised in 1875 or have I read it wrong.

Could Julia be helping swell the Heap ranks but the child knew his/her parents to be Martha Hannah & Miles. It happened.

Just suggestions.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

My mistake, Fanny was born 1869.

The thought that Julia was 'helping' swell the ranks, or one of the other daughters, but the timeline doesn't really match.

'tis a mystery or maybe just a mistake made at the time.....

Now you have changed Fanny's DOB that does make a difference.

Its probably how the question was put to the person who registered the births. Usually a simple explanation.

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Sounds similar to my mystery; I've checked over & over with surnames, places and census, but 1 thing refuses to fit nicely! - A couple marrying in April, a child born January - who appears on all the subsequent census with the father's surname - but when registered it has the mother's maiden name & a different father's first name [although maybe 'Joseph' could've been mis transcribed / misheard for 'James']- but that still wouldn't explain using the mother's maiden name for the child when they were married?- Unless the registrar messed up; would anyone literate check afterwards?
More children follow, in the same small village, with the dad's surname - although 1 of them born in the middle, aprox 1826, doesn't seem to be registered anywhere except later on census'. I wonder if they'd be amused at the confusion of people 200 years later trying to piece their lives together.. :joy:

I've just realised; the child being Baptised in January doesn't mean that's when it was born, it could've been a few months previous; perhaps indicating to the husband that it wasn't his. Although he does later give it his surname and raise it as theirs.. - Maybe somethings we just can't know from the distant 21stC!