Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
adoption??

I am wanting to trace the records of Harry I squires.
He was adopted by harry strutt and emma strutt in sheffield
Harry Squires was said to be born in 1889
I am wanting to know how i can find more info

Kind regards

#Ian Hodgson

Re: adoption??

Hi

I've found the following on FMP.

First name(s) Harry Aspland
Last name Squires
Birth quarter 3
Birth year 1889
Mother's maiden name Squires
District Ecclesall Bierlow
County Yorkshire
Country England
Volume 9C
Page 328

Looking at the mother's maiden name, it would appear he was illegitimate. This is the only birth of a Harry Squires I can find in Sheffield in 1889.

Carol

The gro index has a blank for mother maiden name on that record which confirms he was illegitimate.
There was no official adoption system in UK until 1926. Before that it was very much an ad hoc system and certainly no records.
Dave

Hi Ian

Can you confirm its Harry I Squires? As there only seems to be the one birth Carol found for Harry Aspland Squires in 1889 in Sheffield, if it is Harry I, then we may need a bit more information of his later life to work backwards and find his bith.

According to the 1911 census Harry Squires aged 21, Born in Sheffield is living in the Strutt Household as an adopted son, at Webster Street, Carbrook. But with John (not Harry) and Emma Strutt and their children.

So he seems to have kept the surname Squires.

There are a number of records for both a Harry A Squires, B 1889, and a Harry I Squires, B 1889 who lived in Sheffield.

Harry I Squires is on the 1939 census with a birth date of 13 Sep 1889. Hes an Engineers labourer and is living with his wife Maggie, and children Rose, Ada,Arthur,Margaret,Jack plus 1 other.

Harry I Squires married Maggie Palmer in Sheffield in 1914.

But I can only see the same Birth in Sheffield for Harry Aspland Squires, so futher digging required.

Denise

Harry Squires age 1 is on the 1891 census with the same Strutt family. He is a Boarder. On the 1901 census he is also with that family but named as Harry Strutt and said to be son (age 10).

In terms of the "adoption" I wonder if in 1891 he was a nursling child. If so it may be significant that Emma Strutt was 7 months pregnant at that 1891 census and her daughter Emma Kezia was born in May and was buried on 5th Sept at St Thomas Brightside age 4 months. Could that have triggered the desire to "adopt" Harry?

With regard to the second initial (I versus A) I wonder if the I is a hearing error (I can sound like A depending on dialect!).
The date of birth for Harry I is given as 13 Sept 1891. Harry A was birth registered on p 328 Ecclesall Bierlow in Q3 1889. On that same page is registered a William Lamb who is also on the 1939 register in Sheffield and his birthday is given there as 9th Sept 1889. This puts Harry I of 1939 register and Harry A of birth reg q3 1889 extremely close to the same birthday.

Dave