Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Benjamin Marriott d13 March 1886 Intake

I am looking for the burial record of Benjamin Marriott d 13 March 1886 aged 55 at Intake and his wife Lucy (who died in Intake 7th Jan 1914)

I cant find any record but his inquest was held at the Ball Inn as he had being killed in a mining accident at Birley Colliery.

Regards

Philip

Re: Benjamin Marriott d13 March 1886 Intake

Hi Philip,

Benjamin Marriott aged 55 of Intake, buried 17 March 1886 at Christ Church,
Gleadless. NBI

Moira.

Lucy Marriott is also buried at Christ Church, Gleadless. She was 79yrs old
and lived at No 1 Bagshaw Road, buried 10 Jan 1914.

Moira.

Thankyou, I never thought of Gleadless

Regards

Philip

Do you have the newspaper article regarding the accident? If not I can send it to you

Jenny

Jenny

Yes I have the inquest report thankyou

I am also currently updating the 'accidents' section of the Birley Colliery on Wickapedia

Regards

Philip

Hi

Are the Gleadless burial records available online?

Philip

Philip Robinson
Jenny

Yes I have the inquest report thankyou

I am also currently updating the 'accidents' section of the Birley Colliery on Wickapedia

Regards

Philip
Hi Philip

For your interest

I have just inserted an entry on Wickepedia

Anthony Mycock age 61 severely burnt by Fire Damp September 1857 at the Birley Vale Plantation Pit. Subsequently died from his injuries on the 7th of October 1857. Buried at Gleadless Christ Church.

Rodger

I have currently only going through the Sheffield Daily Telegraph and I see yours came from the Sheffield Free Press, was he a relative?

I think this is worth it as it reveals the tragic number of deaths that occured in the collieries. Not to mention the widows and children left behind.

Regards

Philip

Philip Robinson
Rodger

I have currently only going through the Sheffield Daily Telegraph and I see yours came from the Sheffield Free Press, was he a relative?

I think this is worth it as it reveals the tragic number of deaths that occured in the collieries. Not to mention the widows and children left behind.

Regards

Philip
Hi Philip

Yes, Anthony Mycock was my Ggg grandfather.

Rodger

I found Anthony Mycocks article in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Tuesday 22 September 1857

My GG Grandfather Benjamin Marriott also died in the pit in 1886

Philip

Hi Philip, well seen.

I suppose after so many years a story relating to Anthony's death wouldn't have survived down through all those generations of the family.
What a horrible way to die, looking at dates he held on to life for a couple of weeks, poor soul!
There is no gravestone to remember him in that Gleadless grave yard.