Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Death at PYE BANK

Hi, my 3 x gr grandmother Elizabeth Hammond nee Swift died at Pye Bank and if I click on same household there are over a hundred people dying there. Was it a hospital or workhouse? Also what does "reopened 21944" mean please?
HAMMOND, Elizabeth (Widow, age 57).
Died at Pye Bank; Buried on February 7, 1879 in General ground;
Grave Number 22, Section E2 of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: Reopened 21944.

Re: Death at PYE BANK

Hi Jacqueline,

Pye Bank was a street.
If you look at the directories section on this site and search on *Pye Bank* in the address field, you’ll see there were lots of people living there.

Heths

Jacqueline
In Burngreave burials there are some records with the word Reopened in remarks and some with numbers in the remarks.
Therefore i think that there are 2 separate pieces of info. One is that the grave was reopened and the other that the number 21944 is associated with the grave. I assume someone at the cemetery may be able to explain the numbers.
Dave

Thank you. I just thought it might be a hospital or something because there were no numbers on any of them. She lived on Harvest Lane earlier in her life and that was next door so I understand now.

Thank you. I have a better understanding now.

Hi Jacqueline,

Try the same grave option and it will be more specific.

If you look at our Maps (Site Map) and the 1890 Jeremy Atherton Map
Harvest Lane and Pye Bank run into Mowbray St.

Look below Burngreave Cemetery.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Looks possible the Louisa Green in the same grave was the daughter of Elizabeth, possible previous marriage.

Thank you both, I will check those out.