Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Schools

Hi

Just wondered if anyone could help, my Great Grandmother lived on Furnival Lane and around the early 1890’s she would have started school.
Does anyone have any idea of what schools were in that area so I can try and find out what school she attended when the archives re open. I’ve had a look on the school records on here and she’s not listed.

Thanks in advance

Kerry.😊

Re: Schools

Hi Kerry,

I am looking at the Alan Godfrey Maps 1905 for Sheffield Park.

I can not see a Lane called Furnival Lane. Probably there but just not named.

Looking at Furnival Street I would say the closest school is on on Charles Street.
It is a little north east of Furnival St and roughly south west on Union Lane there is another school.

If you check the Archives site out for deposited school registers they might mention both schools. NOT all school registers were deposited.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine

Thank you for the information. It’s interesting you say that about Furnival Lane because on one of the census returns it’s referred to as furnival street but mostly in the other census returns and the certificates I have it’s lane.

Thanks again
Kerry.😊

Kerry,
In our school records the address *FURNI* gives 7 answers, all 1901 to 1925.
In those records, all for special schools, the previous schools attended were St Edmunds, St Paul's CE and Park Council. That suggests they are possibles, assuming they existed in the early 1890s
Dave

Hi Dave

Thank you for that, I can make a start and hopefully there may be something at the archives too when we are finally allowed back in.

Kerry.

Hi, you are right according to my old Street Guide Furnival Lane is Porter St to Eyre Lane. Hope this helps to find the schools your looking for.
Barry Green

Hi Kerry & Barry,

The Union Street School looks to be the closest of the two I gave you.

Check the Archives site out to save a wasted trip.

http://www.calmview.eu/SheffieldArchives/CalmView/Overview.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog

I was given to understand that there are very few registers and we have covered all that were available at the time.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype