Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
name question

Hi, Wondering what the 'otherwise Hayley' means on the transcription record below?

BRADSHAW, Walter otherwise Hayley (Labourer, age 49).
Died at Royal Hospital; Buried on April 11, 1927 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 7263, Section V2 of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: ~. Remarks: .
Plot Owner: ~ ~ of ~. Page No 118

Re: name question

Hi Sarah

It possibly meant that he was also known by the name Hayley - perhaps to distinguish him from another Walter in the family, or because he didn't like the name Walter. Many of the people in my husband's family tree (the majority from the Sheffield area) used their second given name because so many others in the wider family had the same name - and sometimes because they simply didn't like the first name they were given.

Jacqui Jackson
Hi Sarah

It possibly meant that he was also known by the name Hayley - perhaps to distinguish him from another Walter in the family, or because he didn't like the name Walter. Many of the people in my husband's family tree (the majority from the Sheffield area) used their second given name because so many others in the wider family had the same name - and sometimes because they simply didn't like the first name they were given.
Another possibility could be that he was brought up with Hayley as a surname due to a mother's remarriage and went by that name all his life, but legally was a Bradshaw. I have a very similar thing in my family history.

Thanks guys :-)