Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
East Audish

I am trying to track down a bit more of my Sheffield area family.

My 3rd great grandfather was Benjamin Bennett, born in Tanshelf Pontefract (b.1808). He married Hannah Jackson. According to the 1841 and later censuses, she was born in "East Audish" and one source suggests this was in the twp of Nether Hallam.

I can find absolutely NO reference to East Audish or anything remotely similar to East Audish in the world, let alone in Yorkshire! My only guess that it might have been a street or area that has vapourized with time (like Tanshelf has disappeared in name as a place) or it was the name of a house ... and of course Nether Hallam is not a small area!

Any ideas where this might be. I can't find any references either for parents of a Hannah Jackson (records not mandatory then) After tracing my British Home Child Great Grandmother and her sister back to Sheffield, It's disappointing to Hit a brick wall for both their grandparents John Bennett and Hannah.

That said with the help of Sheffield Indexers, I was able to stand in the cemetery in the vicinity of their graves and tell them what had become of 2 of their children. Thanks! :-)

Re: East Audish

Hi Stuart,

This might be a bit left-field but given the relative proximity to Pontefract could "East Audish" be East Ardsley, just north west of Wakefield?

As I say it's a little bit out of the box but perhaps other things in your tree might give further possible links for following up.

Good luck,

Nigel

Thanks for the idea ... possible ... but no luck so far ... It seems that the Jackson name is VERY prolific and Hannah was a very popular girl's name. Whoever said that genealogy is easy?!?!?!?

Hi Stuart
You have referred to Benjamin Bennett in the first line but further on have spoken of John Bennett and Hannah. I have found John and Hannah Bennett on the 1851 census on Cross George Street in Sheffield. I presume this is the family as Hannah appears to be born in East Audish.
Looking at the children listed in the census Marion b 1834 and Benjamin born 1837 were both born in Pontefract. William born in 1839 is the first child listed as being born in Sheffield. This would suggest that the family didn't move to Sheffield until around 1838.
It would seem likely therefore that Hannah was not born in Sheffield. I cannot find an East Audlish but just south of Pontefract is the village of East Hardwick and the next village along the road is Thorpe Audlin. It may be that Hannah originates from around there.

Steve

Yes you are right and I edited that post to fix my booboo! But it didn't take and the original is left!

John was indeed Benjamin's father and it was John who married Hannah!

Hi Stuart
A possible marriage, 29 March 1829 John Bennett married Hannah Jackson at Pontefract. This is listed on Find My Past and would seem to fit with the 1841 census that has the eldest child listed as Ann aged 12 so born around 1829.

Steve

Hi Stuart
There are two possible baptisms for Hannah Jackson:

30 March 1806 at St Giles' Pontefract. Father William, mother Hannah. Residence: Knottingley

20 April 1806 at St Giles' Pontefract. Father Thomas, mother Hannah. Residence; Knottingley.

The marriage mentioned in my earlier post was also at St Giles' Pontefract.

Steve

Thank you Steve for your assistance and clues... the dob references that I found for Hannah were quite consistently 1809 so while the two knottingley references were possibles, I went searching a bit more and lo and behold ....

In the parish registers of the village of Aughton

Name: Hannah Jackson
Record Type: Baptism
Baptism Date: 30 Jul 1809
Baptism Place: Yorkshire, England
Keyed Parish: Aughton
Father: John Jackson
Mother: Elisabeth Jackson

It was certainly odd because I'd searched in the area and hadn't spotted your suggestions nor this one before.

So does East Audish to a young ear maybe come from
Aughton parish

I shall see what became of John and Elisabeth Jackson to see if mebbe that fits!

Hi Stuart
I have been trying to find the family in the 1861 census to see if the place of birth for Hannah was any clearer. I came up with this:
39 Shemeld Croft, Dyers Hill, Sheffield
Hannah Bennock Head aged 52 widow born East Hardwick (so born 1809)
John Bennock son steel roller 19 born Sheffield
James Bennock son 14 born Sheffield
Jane Bennock age 29 born Sheffield

Looking at the original image Bennock could be Bennett.
This would tie in with the family in 1851 and also 1841 when Jane is listed with them.

I would not rule out the birth you found at Aughton but I did wonder why someone born in Aughton would move to Pontefract as it isn't something you would expect at the time with people moving to the towns and cities and from Aughton a more logical move is Sheffield or Rotherham.

Perhaps something to consider (or confuse the issue!)
Steve

From Parish registers
St. Giles, Pontefract

Name: John Bennett of this parish
Spouse: Hannah Jackson of this parish
Marriage by Banns: 29 Mar 1829
In the presence of George Radley and John Hargrave

I am finding that the names of John Bennett and Hannah Jackson are about like John and Mary Smith. I am sure that John and Hannah, married in Pontefract are right ... but some of the associated "supporting evidence" aren't for them!

Bottom line is that it appears I have made some links which puts some of my findings in serious doubt. I'm going to have to restart from Benjamin and work back again with more care. I had problems with Benjamin Bennett and Sarah Cooper (my 2nd GGrands) because of a number of Benjamin Bennetts in different parts of Sheffield, but I got those sorted by remembering that Benjamin was poor (he ended up in Fir Vale workhouse) and a lot of the other Benjamins were from more affluent parts of Sheffield!

So, this is gonna be on pause for a while so I can clear my brain and get some house repairs done!!!! I needed something to do while covid semi-isolation was doing my head in so I picked this up ... :-)

Take care and thanks!

Stuart

BINGO! I can put closure to this topic.

Just found the 1861 census for Hannah Bennett, nee Jackson, and the birthplace in that entry was East Hardwick ... just south of Pontefract, which is where her husband John Bennett came from. They moved to Sheffield where the jobs were it seems, in steel.

So, looks like the earlier census taker had a cloth ear and translated Hardwick into Audish ... which makes sense given the aspirated "h" prevalent in t' north :-)

That makes life a lot easier now to find the Jackson family!