Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cecil Crofts MOSS

Hello!

I am searching for any information on CECIL CROFTS MOSS who was born on 16 Aug 1913 at 2 Smilter Lane, Pitsmoor and died just 12 years later on 31 Jan 1926 at 1 Wallace Cottages, Handsworth of "acute rheumatism and myocarditis syncope" He was the illegitimate son of Esther MOSS.

He is buried in Handsworth cemetery, Orgreave Lane Ground and I'd love to visit some time but don't live anywhere near Sheffield. How can I find out which grave number etc and if there's an inscription?

Also can anyone say what was 2 Smilter Lane in 1913? was it a place where unmarried mothers had their babies?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Annie

Re: Cecil Crofts MOSS

"2 Smilter Lane" and also "12 Smilter Lane" were euphemisms in registers and other records to refer to Fir Vale Workhouse and the Sheffield Union Infirmary.

From 1907 the hospital was under separate management from the Workhouse. The hospital eventually became the City general Hospital and later the current Northern General Hospital which incorporates some of the old workhouse buildings.

Here's a quote from "Born in Sheffield: A History of the Women's Health Services 1864-2000" (Helen Mathers & Tania McIntosh 2000)

"It was not only the Jessop Hospital that was dealing with an ever increasing workload in the first decades of the twentieth century. The two Poor Law Hospitals at Fir Vale and Nether Edge were also seeing growing numbers of maternity patients [...]The majority of these births were to unmarried mothers, who had no choice about where they were treated. In 1912 there were 128 in-patient deliveries at Fir Vale, of which eighty-eight were illegitimate births. Single mothers were still heavily stigmatised for their behaviour, and many of them would have had their babies adopted straight after birth. Some babies were cared for by the Workhouse while the new mothers found work.

"Interestingly, women treeated under the Poor Law received some of the most up-to-date care. The Poor Law Hospitals were funded through parish rates, and therefore had a more secure income than voluntary hospitals such as the Jessop which were dependent on subscriptions and charity collections."

Hugh

Hi Annie,

To add to Hugh's very interesting explanation re 2 Smilter Lane,

"and died just 12 years later on 31 Jan 1926 at 1 Wallace Cottages, Handsworth of "acute rheumatism and myocarditis syncope" He was the illegitimate son of Esther MOSS."

I wonder if he had had Rheumatic fever earlier leavening him with heart problems.

Obviously and very sick little boy.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Thank you for this Hugh.....I wondered if this was the case as I had seen references to the workhouse in Smilter Lane before. A shame he had such a short life.

Hi Elaine, yes I suspect that was the case. Certainly rheumatism and rheumatic fever weakens the heart.

Hi

The grave number is given in the burial register transcription on here..

MOSS, Cecil Croft (~, age 12).
Died at 1 Wallis Cottages; Buried on February 3, 1926 in ~ ground;
Grave Number 483, Section ~ of Handsworth Cemetery, Sheffield.
Remarks: Orgreave Lane ground.

Angela

THANK you, thank you!

He is also in the same grave as -

MOSS, Annie (Wife of Charles Moss, age 79).
Died at 71 Hall Road; Buried on April 29, 1942 in Consecrated ground;
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: Orgreave Lane ground.
Plot Owner: of . Page No

MOSS, Charles (Power House Attendant, age 87).
Died at 71 Hall Road; Buried on May 31, 1951 in Consecrated ground;
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: Orgreave Lane ground.
Plot Owner: of . Page No

Plus others. If you do a search on the burials to the left of the webpage you will find hi burial details - click on Find Similar in Same Grave and there are others in there. May be family, may not
Lyn

Hello
Please note, the Ward Family are in the Church Lane part of the Cemetery even though they have the same grave number. The Church Lane ground is adjacent to St Mary's Church but is counted as Handsworth Cemetery. Christine

Hi Annie,
Sorry to say that there is no gravestone for the Moss family at Orgreave Lane Cemetery, the record says that the plot was purchaced by Charles Moss. I have photo's of all the gravestones in Orgreave Lane and Church Lane Cemetery.

Trevor Spencer

Hello Indexers!
I'm revisiting this as it occurs to me there may be more detailed records pertaining to this birth now the 100 yrs has passed. The baby was kept and cared for by grandparents btw.

Can I access any further records on my grandmother's admittance to have the baby- I realise any chance of finding out who the father was is remote, although I'm fairly certain it would have been someone with the surname CROFTS [my Grandmother was MOSS]!

Thank you, Annie