Return to Website

Sheena Easton Message Board

Welcome to the Sheena Easton Message Board.  Click on the logo to return to www.sheenaeaston.co.uk

Sheena Easton Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Speaking of 'No Sound But a Heart'...

So, it has come to my attention there may be some unreleased material from this album. Recently just found out about a song called 'Anything Can Happen' from the sessions for this album. This song is quite different than the style that this album was going for, so anyone have any information about this topic? Curious for any details.

Re: Speaking of 'No Sound But a Heart'...

From what I understand the follow-up to Do You was supposed to be a fun, upbeat, dance album. "So Far So Good" was released as a single from About Last Night, and was going to be included on the album. "Anything Can Happen" was going to be the follow-up single released a month prior to the album. It even was prepped with an single edit and extended version. She recorded four uptempo tracks with Nick Martinelli, including a remake of "Young Hearts Run Free". Someone I know worked as an engineer on those tracks and said there was a KILLER dance track that was never released. She also intended to release "Shockwave" on the album along with another Narada uptempo called "Five Star Affair".

Anyway, when "So Far So Good" failed to make the Top 40, Sheena may have panicked as there was some percieved resistance to her being taken seriously as a dance artist, so they scrapped the dance album and wanted to get back to the reason people fell in love with her in the first place - her voice. The thinking may have been that since Whitney was having success with Adult Contemporary ballads on the Pop charts, maybe they could still crossover Sheena there as well.

She also recorded another ballad called "Rhythm of Romance" which Lulu recorded several years later but that never made it past the demo stage.

So, now the question is.. does anyone have these songs floating around? I Heard 'Anything Can Happen'. It's a shame that did not materialize as an album. Never did understand why 'So Far So Good' did not do that well. I know it's one of my favorite Sheena songs.

Mike Dubin
So, now the question is.. does anyone have these songs floating around? I Heard 'Anything Can Happen'. It's a shame that did not materialize as an album. Never did understand why 'So Far So Good' did not do that well. I know it's one of my favorite Sheena songs.

I agree. If "So Far So Good" had been recorded by Madonna or Whitney Houston it would have been a big hit.

It has come to my attention recently that Cherry-Pop Records has applied (to EMI) for a license to re-issue No sound But A Heart and Best Kept Secret on CD. I have posted a request/suggestion on Cherry Pop's facebook page that they include some (or all) of the un-released studio tracks that Sheena recorded that were not included on No Sound...

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/359551096393/

I don't think anyone, Sheena nor EMI, paniced over "So Far So Good"'s dissapointing chart position (#43).
It was just a single released from a movie soundtrack, and Sheena didn't promote that single at all.
But of course, it was a hint of how low her popularity was getting by late '86.
If they had paniced over that they wouldn't have followed up with the not so radio friendly "Eternity".

As for the "supposed to be" album.
When an artist records a new album, a lot of songs are recorded, not just the 10 that makes the final cut.
I believe they just figured the dance songs weren't good enough to be released, and they were left with the ballads, and decided to make it a ballad album instead.

And maybe EMI and Sheena thought that there were enough female singers making pop-dance songs at that time, like Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, Withney Houston, Samantha Fox, Kim Wilde among others.

Also, when you read the credits on NSBAH, you get the impression that Sheena really wanted to do a ballad album again, and dedicated it to her mother, who always loves to hear her sing a ballad.

Then, in 1988 an new genre appeared...Funky RnB dance songs with new top producers like Babyface and L.A. Reid, first introduced by artists like Pebbles and Jody Watley.
And Sheena probably thought it was a better idea to ride on that wave with her new company MCA, which resulted in "The Lover In Me".

The reason why NSBAH was never promoted to it's full extent, Sheena was in dispute with EMI *MANHATTEN RECORDS....EMI America buying out her existing contract.... I believe the press at teh tiem said she was awarded millions in damages and then signed to MCA in 1987....Hence the release of THE LOVER IN ME in 1988....NSBAH did very in Canada as it was released there first in 1986...selling to GOLD status on the charts.....

jj
The reason why NSBAH was never promoted to it's full extent, Sheena was in dispute with EMI *MANHATTEN RECORDS....EMI America buying out her existing contract.... I believe the press at teh tiem said she was awarded millions in damages and then signed to MCA in 1987....Hence the release of THE LOVER IN ME in 1988....NSBAH did very in Canada as it was released there first in 1986...selling to GOLD status on the charts.....

Where you get that from???

NSBAH was released in June 1987, but not, as we all know, in the US.

And NSBAH was a flop, it didn't sell well anywhere where it was released.
And certainly not in Canada!
It didn't chart in Canada.
And it certanly didn't sell to Gold there!

http://www.musiccanada.com/GPSearchResult.aspx?st=&ica=False&sa=sheena easton&sl=&smt=0&sat=-1&ssb=Artist&ssdir=descending

Sheena Easton's final success in Canada was with A PRIVATE HEAVEN. After that she never made it back on top there. Not even with THE LOVER IN ME (that album charted at a low #83 on the RPM Album Chart in Canada).

Roman,

While sometimes a few additional tracks are recorded when making an album, certainly not the number that was recorded during the No Sound But A Heart sessions. Sheena did promote "So Far So Good", she made a video and even went on a radio tour to solicit airplay. When promoting the single at radio, she mentioned that the album would be out in the fall of '86. The fact that single edits and Extended Versions of 'Anything Can Happen" surely shows the intention was to follow-up the hoped-for success of "So Far So Good" with a similar sounding single and album.

In fact, when Sheena was PROMOTING "So Far So Good" on an episode of "You Write The Songs" with Ben Vereen, she discussed how "So Far So Good" was indicative with the kind of material she was looking to put on her own album' "fun, bouncy, the kind of song you would sing in the shower." the trajectory of the album definitely changed after 'So Far" didn't make the Top 40.

As for EMI choosing "Eternity" as the first single, I think they were hoping the Prince connection would once again provide radio programmers with enough of an incentive to play the single. There have been plenty of Prince songs that were quirky upon first listen and yet connected to a wide audience. "Love Thy Will Be Done" and "Nothing Compares 2 U" are two single that aren't exactly commercial yet appealed to a mainstream audience.

The person who worked on the album said that it was definitely intended to be an uptempo pop/dance album and the decision to scrap all of those uptempo songs and record all ballads and midtempos was decided later.

Regardless of intention or not, I would love to hear the unreleased tracks, especially the cover of 'Young Hearts Run Free".

No Sound But a Heart was Sheena Easton's eighth studio album, released in 1987 on the EMI label. The album's original U.S. release was canceled but some copies were found stateside. The album was issued in Canada, Mexico, Japan, and other Asian markets. The album consisted of midtempo and ballad songs. The disc features Journey's ex-front man Steve Perry on backing vocals on "Still in Love" and Eugene Wilde on "What If We Fall In Love".

The release of No Sound But a Heart was hampered in the United States after an EMI America was absorbed into EMI Manhattan records and two scheduled release dates for the album (February and June 1987) were not met.

The album was reissued in 1999 by the One Way Records label, marking the first time it has been officially available in the United States. The album produced one single and video, "Eternity", written by Prince. The 1999 reissue added several bonus tracks. This was Easton's final release on the EMI label, where she had started her career. She subsequently moved to MCA Records the following year in 1988.

Stevo
Roman,

While sometimes a few additional tracks are recorded when making an album, certainly not the number that was recorded during the No Sound But A Heart sessions. Sheena did promote "So Far So Good", she made a video and even went on a radio tour to solicit airplay. When promoting the single at radio, she mentioned that the album would be out in the fall of '86. The fact that single edits and Extended Versions of 'Anything Can Happen" surely shows the intention was to follow-up the hoped-for success of "So Far So Good" with a similar sounding single and album.

In fact, when Sheena was PROMOTING "So Far So Good" on an episode of "You Write The Songs" with Ben Vereen, she discussed how "So Far So Good" was indicative with the kind of material she was looking to put on her own album' "fun, bouncy, the kind of song you would sing in the shower." the trajectory of the album definitely changed after 'So Far" didn't make the Top 40.

As for EMI choosing "Eternity" as the first single, I think they were hoping the Prince connection would once again provide radio programmers with enough of an incentive to play the single. There have been plenty of Prince songs that were quirky upon first listen and yet connected to a wide audience. "Love Thy Will Be Done" and "Nothing Compares 2 U" are two single that aren't exactly commercial yet appealed to a mainstream audience.

The person who worked on the album said that it was definitely intended to be an uptempo pop/dance album and the decision to scrap all of those uptempo songs and record all ballads and midtempos was decided later.

Regardless of intention or not, I would love to hear the unreleased tracks, especially the cover of 'Young Hearts Run Free".

I would also loved to hear those unreleased songs!

And I would also like to know why the original album idea was scrapped.
I had never heard of this project until now, so if anyone knows why it never happened, I'd be glad if someone could tell us.

I don't think the dissapointment of "So Far So Good" would be a good enough reason to cancell the whole project all together. They could still have hopes for better for the next single.
But that's my opinion.

The MADNESS, MONEY & MUSIC album wasn't cancelled just because the first single, "Machinery" flopped.

(No Sound But A Heart was released in Europe too. At least some countries. I saw it in record stores, but didn't buy it)

can't wait for the cherry-pop records cd re-master/re-issue. as i stated earlier in this thread, they have applied to emi for a license to re-issue the album on cd. i liked their treatment of the lover in me.

Originally Posted by jj

-- Sheena wasn't "awarded millions in damages" -- she wanted out of her contract, not financial compensation...

Any idea who the songwriter(s) were for Anything Can Happen and if it was a Narada Michael-Walden production?

Elias
Originally Posted by jj

-- Sheena wasn't "awarded millions in damages" -- she wanted out of her contract, not financial compensation...

I only posted what i once read in some article years ago regarding NSBAH...
I have been a SHEENA fan since day 1 and don't post on here idle gossip...
I have been searching the internet for the said article since posting, but have yet to find it...apologies...
Also i posted awhile ago about her singing at the ROYAL VARIETY PERFORMANCE, someone posted that was untrue.....The press say SHEENA is worth upwards of $100 million dollars....No-one but Sheena will know her true wealth, and really who cares....Sheena is a smart businees woman, and she won't be short of money that's for certain.....

Stacey
can't wait for the cherry-pop records cd re-master/re-issue. as i stated earlier in this thread, they have applied to emi for a license to re-issue the album on cd. i liked their treatment of the lover in me.

But that doesn't mean they will be allowed to, if they get rejected.
It has already been re-released by One Way in 1999.

No, I say: Put out all of Sheena's albums, with bonus tracks, on Spotify!

I found this article from January of 1988, published in the LA Times.

THE SHEENA WATCH: In last week's column, we wondered why pop starlet Sheena Easton was spending so much time in the sack with "Miami Vice's" Sonny Crockett instead of making a new album for EMI/Manhattan Records. Little did we know--she's not even signed to EMI anymore. Easton is now at MCA Records, which says it expects a new album from her sometime this fall. But here's an intriguing question: What happened to "No Sound But a Heart," the album Easton made for EMI last year, which the company never released? (Or at least didn't release here--it's available in Japan.)

As with most record industry sagas, it all depends on who you ask. MCA sources say EMI didn't like the record and decided to shelve it. Less than three months ago, Variety's Ken Terry reported that Easton's manager, Harriet Wasserman, "wouldn't say whether Easton had recorded a (new) album for EMI," only that it wasn't scheduled for release. Now Wasserman says Easton "negotiated her way off EMI," adding: "EMI didn't push for the release of the album because they knew Sheena didn't want to be on the label anymore--and presumably they wanted to avoid all the difficulties that would emerge from that situation."
Oddly enough, the album was so close to being released that EMI actually sent out review copies--and Calendar assigned critic Connie Johnson to review the record (which included a previously unreleased Prince song, "Eternity"). Johnson's unpublished assessment: "The album wisely emphasizes Easton's elegant, soaring voice rather than production gimmickry. But while Easton does have a fine voice, it's not always an inventive one, as she demonstrates in her routine treatment of 'Wanna Give My Love.' Basically an OK tune, it requires the imaginative little vocal fillips that a Patti LaBelle or Whitney Houston would dream up in order to lift it above the ordinary."

Still, why would EMI give up on an artist who's an obvious TV draw and had four of her past six albums go gold (with 1984's "A Private Heaven" going platinum)? "We had artistic differences, which created an impasse in our professional relationship," said EMI chief executive officer Sal Licata. "It was therefore a natural process from both points of view to part company. We wish her every success."

Anything Can Happen was written by Michael Jay. He also wrote the track The Rhythm of Romance for this album.

Has anyone heard The Rhythm of Romance?

If anyone is wanting to listen to "Anything Can Happen" follow this link
http://www.michaeljaymusic.com
Then click on "New Song Demos"
Arrow down to "Click here for unreleased songs"
There you will see the song by Sheena as well as songs by Debbie Harry and Chaka Khan.

Also, does anyone know how the Sheena and Steve Perry connection came to be? How was it he worked with her on "Still In Love" from NSBAH? It just doesn't seem as though they would have travelled in the same circles. Thanks guys!

Hi Stacey,
Just reading through the threads on this post and see that you were hopeful of Best Kept Secret being reissued by Cherry Pop label.
Have you any update on this?
Thanks,
A

jj

No, it did not sell well in Canada nor did it go gold because it never came out here except in a very limited quantity that leaked out. I am a rabid Sheena fan who lives in Canada, and I did everything in my power to obtain that recording in any format I could, and was only able to find it in a WoolCo cut out bin as a cassette a year later for $3.00