Return to Help Center

Welcome to the Bravenet Help Forums. Here you can chat and meet other Bravenet Members. Please do not post advertisements.

Forum: Domains Discussions
This forum is locked and posting is not allowed
Author
Comment
anxiety at the point of changing my domain name from .com to.org

Will a slight change in the domain name cause my carefully constructed old website to disappear? Thanks! I am standing by for an answer.

Re: anxiety at the point of changing my domain name from .com to.org

I would say YES but (not sure) you could save your web site change the name and re load it,
Someone like Peter could explain better, but not all is lost

I wouldn't have thought that changing from .com or .org would be worth the effort. Most people naturally go type .com or the country level equivalent by default.

In theory changing the name shouldn't affect the site at all but if you have registered the name and bought the hosting through the same company it would be worth checking with them on the mechanics of the process. I have never registered a domain through Bravenet so I can't comment on their internal procedures in this matter.

You can register a new domain name as .org and set that up as the websites domain name, and it can indeed be done seamlessly.

However, you cannot "change" a domain name itself, a .com domain name is a completely different, distinct legal entity from the registration of an identical .org domain. Each is purchased via lease from different registration companies, so they can't be switched-between. Every domain registration is its own purchase.