Return to Help Center

Welcome to the Bravenet Help Forums. Here you can chat and meet other Bravenet Members. Please do not post advertisements.

Forum: Domains Discussions
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Canceling my domain

My domain has automatically renewed without me being aware of this and money has now gone out of my bank account.

I want to cancel my domain so, so no money will go out next year.

I can't find anywhere on this site to do this, only a renew button

can anyone help?

Email  
Re: Canceling my domain

There is an explanation in the My Accountsection of the Wiki

Quote:

Deleting a Credit Card:

1. Login to your account
2. Click on "Transaction History"
3. Click on "Edit Credit Cards"
4. Click the delete icon beside the card you want to edit/update

You instructed a person who wants to know how to delete/cancel their domain by simply telling him/her to delete their credit card info. But, what if I have too many websites and want to only delete/cancel a few of them? Isn't there a cancel/delete tab to get rid of the domain name?

You cannot cancel a domain name, once it is registered you have got it for the duration of the registration period. That's nothing to do with Bravenet who register it on your behalf, its just how the international registration process works.

Remember a domain name is just a label for your site. You can transfer the domain to somebody else or attach it to a different site or delete your existing site and leave it "unconfigured" but the one thing you cannot do is cancel it. Your web hosting and your domain name are two independent arrangements.

Hi Peter! :) I apologize, I didn't mean "cancel" my domain. I meant, how does a person delete it so I don't have to pay for a domain I no longer want. I've been told how to do it before, but I forgot how. Please tell me again? Thanks a lot!

click on domains
forgot how to go from there as I don't have an account but it was straight forward

There are two ways to give up a domain:

1. Transfer it to somebody else. There are people who make money by registering names that they hope will be popular and then selling them at a profit.

2. Don't renew it when it expires.

Unless you have found yourself sitting on a name which Apple or Nokia are going to use for the next consumer "must have" option 1 is probably a non starter.

Option 2 is covered by my original post.

Deleting the associated site is a totally separate process.

Quote: Peter
There are two ways to give up a domain:

2. Don't renew it when it expires.

Peter she wants to know how to stop future payments by deleting her card details

To cancel the recurring billing registered to a Bravenet service, please follow these instructions:

1. Login to your Bravenet account
2. Click on "Transaction History"
3. Click on the red icon under "Cancel" next to the service you would no longer like to be automatically billed for

Quote: Natasha
My domain has automatically renewed without me being aware of this and money has now gone out of my bank account.

I want to cancel my domain so, so no money will go out next year.

I can't find anywhere on this site to do this, only a renew button

can anyone help?

I had sent you a request last week, on Wednesday, but apparently you did not receive it. Since the product is not producing income, I want to cancel my website. Please acknowledge this message by emailing me at: marthadavis@peoplepc.com. Thank you very much.

I will remember you if I need another website in the future.
Thanks so much!!

Quote: Martha Davis

I had sent you a request last week, on Wednesday, but apparently you did not receive it. Since the product is not producing income, I want to cancel my website. Please acknowledge this message by emailing me at: marthadavis@peoplepc.com. Thank you very much.

I will remember you if I need another website in the future.
Thanks so much!!

HI Martha,

Please open a support ticket from inside your account so we can take care of this for you.

Courtnie