Return to Help Center

Welcome to the Bravenet Help Forums. Here you can chat and meet other Bravenet Members. Please do not post advertisements.

Forum: Mailing List Discussions
This forum is locked and posting is not allowed
Author
Comment
Final newsletter not being received by sender (author), but the preview newsletter is.

When I compose my newsletter and send the preview, I receive it. But when I send it out to all recipients, I don't receive the newsletter, but instead an undelivered mail returned to sender (me). The error message in the returned email is "mail server permanently rejected message (in reply to end of DATA command)"

Re: Final newsletter not being received by sender (author), but the preview newsletter is.

Welcome to the wonderful world of bulk mailing.

Your email provider is clearly sophisticated enough to recognise that your confirmation message has been sent to a single recipient while the mailing list is a bulk mailing.

To work out the underlying problem somebody would need to know details of your email and Bravenet accounts that you wouldn't (I hope) put on line as well as the full bounce message with all headers.

It looks as if your email provider pre-checks emails before offering them to your own safe list. I would guess that you are trying to send the newsletter to your registered Bravenet account. It is probable that your email provider is then treating the fact that the "to" and "reply to" addresses match as a huge red flag.

I copy my newsletters to one of my personal email accounts rather than to the business address to avoid this even happening.

This is all guesswork but based on over 10 years experience of running mailing lists.

Re: Final newsletter not being received by sender (author), but the preview newsletter is.

I'm having the same issue. I would think that if it is blocked/treated as spam it should show up in the spam folder but that isn't happening either. This is the first time this happened to me and I've been using this service for years.

Quote:

I would think that if it is blocked/treated as spam it should show up in the spam folder but that isn't happening either.

The point is that AOL, along with Yahoo and Hotmail (and probably gmail) have a two phase spam filter.

Phase 1 stops messages from entering their system at all. They never get as far as your spam filter.
Phase 2 checks the remaining messages against your safe and blocked lists and deals with spam in accordance with whatever rule you have defined.

AOL blocks at phase 1 for a number of reasons including sending to multiple AOL accounts in too short a time. (I had to distribute AOL customers across three mailing lists back when they were major player)

They may have changed their algorithm, you may have put a bad keyword in your latest newsletter or you may have added more AOL addresses to your mailing list and exceeded a critical number.