Return to Help Center

Welcome to the Bravenet Help Forums. Here you can chat and meet other Bravenet Members. Please do not post advertisements.

Forum: Mailing List Discussions
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Anyway to stop spammers from posting long lists of URL's to their own ads?

A number of times recently I have received a notice that someone had signed my guestbook. When I sign in to my guestbook, the 'post' is nothing but very long lists of URL's that link from my guestbook to their own advertistments elsewhere.

Whisper

Re: Anyway to stop spammers from posting long lists of URL's to their own ads?

There are a number of possible strategies. The wiki contains instructions on how to implement each of these. There is no silver bullet, they all require an effort on your part.

1. Block html so that the links don't work

2. Monitor the IP addresses used and consider blocking them. CARE: This works if the spam comes from offshore locations but if the spammers are part of your target demographic then you will also block legitimate visitors and possibly even yourself. (Yes, people have managed to ban themselves from their own websites!)

3. Enable image verification - this stops people running scripts to post spam

4. Enable flood protection - this stops people making multiple posts in quick succession (can be a problem on a forum, should be OK on a guestbook)

5. Enable post approval. Requires a lot of intervention on your part but make the effort for a couple of weeks to discourage the pond life.

6. Stay on top of the problem and zap the spam PDQ. A spammed guestbook discourages the good guys from posting and encourages the bad guys.

I have just tried a couple of your solutions. I even removed the link from my site informing my visitors what was happening and that I was going to take it off line for a week or so. Yet today I got another 9 spam messages with no link to even get to my guestbook. I will see what happens with some of your suggested changes.

Email  

Quote:

Yet today I got another 9 spam messages with no link to even get to my guestbook

That definitely sounds like automated spam, once the bot has harvested the address it doesn't need to go through your site any more. A combination of flood protection, image verification and judicious IP blocking should help.

I can't remember if Bravenet lets you block IP ranges. I stopped a lot of spam on an email form hosted elsewhere by blocking large ranges of Russian and Brazilian addresses.

These are all the same message theme of advertising phony knockoffs of designer Michel Kors fashions. Each one is a little different and they are from different addresses.

I instituted the need permission and also the picture verification so I will see what happens.

Email  

you can find a list of spammers here

http://www.stopforumspam.com/search

Still getting problems. Blocking IP addresses 1 by 1 is not going to work. I'm considering shutting down the guestbook now. Image verification didn't help much.

I am still getting them too even though my guestbook is offline now.

Is there anyway that Bravenet would let you change the name of your guestbook or location to stop these automated robot spammers? Could I add something to my guestbook name to interrupt the spam or is that allowed? I don't want this annoyance to continue now but I also don't want to close and lose all my entries from the years I have been using this one.

Email  

We have received a number of complaints and have been noticing an increased volume of spam on this service. We are looking into some changes that will help prevent mass spamming on our Guestbooks.

An update will go live next week with the changes.

We do allow IP ranges to be blocked. So if the IPs are similar, you can block a range of IPs by using the number zero. Eg. If you ban 255.255.255.0, then all IPs from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.255.255 will be banned.

Quote: Glyn
you can find a list of spammers here

http://www.stopforumspam.com/search

You can block by using a link to this site I don't know how to do it but a Forum I moderate does it to block spammers that are listed on this site

Just as reminder, use an IP lookup service (Google will find some) to check the country of origin. Take care over what you block as you may be keeping out legit visitors.

As I said earlier I block Russia and some Brazilian and Chinese addresses as these are sources of spam for me but not of legitimate traffic.

IP blocking is not suitable for blocking nuisance posters from your own locality. Bravenet customers have done this in the past and ended up blocking an IP range that included themselves.

Another page for tracing IP's

http://aruljohn.com/track.pl

I posted this in one other discussion on here earlier. Since mid-March I have been inundated with SPAM messages on my Guest Book. I was just on there to delete 3 new posts since yesterday/today. This has been a daily problem (since March). I went to the FAQ and checked on the information, "I'm getting a lot of spam/junk entries from different IP addresses, what can I do?" I looked at my settings to make sure they were set like the post suggested and they have been this whole time. It sounds like others are also having this problem. The only thing I have not tried is blocking the IP addresses. It just seems really odd though after having this Guest Book for over 5 years with the highest security settings that all of the sudden over a 2 month period this would happen. I see mention above about some new solutions coming from Bravenet, I surely home they are done soon and work to take care of this problem!

Email  

This is what I am still getting after setting the need for picture verification and having my guestbook off line altogether.
Today 4 more I had to come and delete.

NztFDle@gmail.com
JsKJaSX@gmail.com
vruBXqz@gmail.com
coCgYLF@gmail.com

Each time it is just a different set of letters....how do you ever block this when every single one is always different?

I am frustrated to the point of going to look for other guestbooks and giving up on this one altogether.................I have had this one for so many years I can't remember......................

Email  

Quote: cambridge

I am frustrated to the point of going to look for other guestbooks and giving up on this one altogether.................I have had this one for so many years I can't remember......................

It will be hard to find one that blocks these Spammers completely, they are really having a field day everywhere there is a loop hole

Block the IP range it is no good blocking an email addy