Return to Help Center

Welcome to the Bravenet Help Forums. Here you can chat and meet other Bravenet Members. Please do not post advertisements.

Forum: Web Design Discussions
This forum is locked and posting is not allowed
Author
Comment
frontpage problems

I'm trying to fix some issues with my web site via Frontpage, but keep getting this 'cannot open file', without any explanation or further details. I use the proper input with the password. I cannot find any way, outside of frontpage, to even look at my files that are on my site, and can't open any of my web sites under my account which are all frontpage sites.
I have to wonder why Bravenet doesn't offer a tutorial on this, or have more than one method to reach our web site files than just frontpage?

Email  
Re: frontpage problems

I'm not sure I understand your problem - are you under the impression that frontpage is an online editor? If not, what files are you trying to open that Frontpage won't accept?

I have a web site with Bravenet, a few, in fact. I open Frontpage to edit my web sites. It says 'Unable to open file". Being I cannot get to my files on Bravenet servers any other method other than Frontpage, I'm at a standstill.
I'm looking all over the internet for-
- Why Frontpage says its unable to open a file on the servers. I can't tell if its my end, Frontpage issues, or Bravenet. I have the correct information to sign into the account/web site.
- How I can get to my files other than the frontpage program.

Help with either of these issue would be a huge help
I understand you can open and save files on the server, right?

Email  

FrontPage is not an on-line editor. You need to use FTP to download your site to your computer, edit the files with Frontpage, then upload the edited files to your site using FTP.

Frontpage does publish to the web, and open from the web. I've done this before. It includes a 'publish site' button. So you're saying I have to use my Frontpage extension web site and now download another program to upload/download files?

PS- while trying to find the FTP settings, it said 'In order to use SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol), you must have a standard website created first." Its my understanding that you cannot use FTP with a frontpage web site via bravenet.

Email  

I ended up downloading Microsoft Office Sharepoint which seems to be more friendly with the whole process. I managed to sign into my account, download to the program, make the needed changes. Its basically Frontpage and works as an online editor.
It should be noted here that you cannot use FTP with the Frontpage extension sites Bravenet offers.

Email  

You did the correct thing in changing software. Microsoft withdrew Frontpage years ago. The "problem" may simply have been that Bravenet stopped supporting obsolete software.