Return to Help Center

Welcome to the Bravenet Help Forums. Here you can chat and meet other Bravenet Members. Please do not post advertisements.

Forum: Site Builder Discussions
This forum is locked and posting is not allowed
Author
Comment
Old Geocities site now on bravenet but can't be accessed for editing

Hi, I just stumbled across my old Yahoo Geocities website that went down when Geocities terminated. I had a Bravenet guestbook on the site so presumably Bravenet was able to save my website. I can find no way to access this old site to manage it. I opened a free Bravenet account but can not figure out how to activate the old website. Since I have not paid $100 to get Bravenet Pro, I can't get any support from Bravenet for this issue. Does anyone out there know what can be done to access this old Geocities site for editing? Thanks for any help or advice.

Re: Old Geocities site now on bravenet but can't be accessed for editing

You cannot use Bravesites if you wish to "lift and drop" a site from another hosting service, that can only be done with the paid service. You can only start from scratch using Sitebuilder.

You will just have to spend half a day copying and pasting text from the Geocities site.

Why does Bravenet have my site stored if it can't be accessed? Very odd.
Thanks for the answer.

Why do you think that Bravenet have your site? The link that you give is to a site at geocities.ws who created an archive of old Geocities sites.

You can download your site by creating a geocities.ws account but as I said before there is no FTP access with free Bravesites hosting.

Yeah, no kidding and it's not worth paying for. I wasn't aware of the .ws site at all. Still weird that I got to my old site through a Bravenet address. It must be the free counter and guest book. It creeps me out that my site is running all these years without my knowledge. Thanks for the advice!

We do not usually terminate web tool services, such as the guestbook and counter tools, so those will likely still be registered. We have no affiliation with Geocities however.

Sorry about that!

By the way, you can create support tickets at http://support.bravenet.com without necessarily needing a Pro account. We do our best to extend customer support to free users as well with any extra time and resources we have. :)

Hi Ross, thanks for the reply. I tried to create a support ticket and got a message that support was not available to free members. Good to know the counter and guest book will continue. Thanks!

Sorry about that, free members can still file Support Requests without logging in. Do so from this URL:

http://www.bravenet.com/help/postquestion.php?action=loginissue