Return to Help Center

Welcome to the Bravenet Help Forums. Here you can chat and meet other Bravenet Members. Please do not post advertisements.

Site Builder Discussions
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
changes to editing

It appears the editing has changed. The add block to page opens but then freezes when picking eg the text content box. I don't like the new format anyway.
One change I would suggest you make is change the colours of the boxes of each content. when they are close together it is easy to muddle it up with the next one. I deleted the wrong content recently and threw me into a right panic until I sorted.
Thanks

Re: changes to editing

There are so many possible combinations of browser and operating system on the market now that you need to tell us what you are using. What I see on a Windows 7 machine using Firefox is not necessarily what somebody else may see on a notebook running Android and using Chrome.

Sorry Peter, I don't really understand your answer. I am using Bravesites and I am 'editing' my site. It has nothing to do with the browser or Chrome or Firefox.
Since creating the site and editing it for a few months now the add page content has been fine and workable. For the last 48 hours, the appearance has changed and I cannot add eg a text block, or a single image block. In fact it freezes and I cannot do anything except close the window. If this is a technical error on behalf of Bravesites, it needs to be rectified.

Sorry but you don't understand your computer either.

Every combination of browser and operating system is different and the problem may not necessarily occur in all of them. You can be using anything from the latest cell phone to a ten year old desktop computer to edit your site. A problem cannot be reliably investigated without knowing the environment in which it occurred.

If you don't want to say and don't have a computer that is configured just like the ones in the Bravenet office then don't be suprised if a Bravenet tech simply posts a reply saying that s/he cannot replicate the problem.

Hi - yes, me too - same problem as Maggie is having. What has gone wrong (apart from apparently needless changes to design)? In particular the 'Edit' frame does not appear when I hover over the component. Bravenet - help please, quickly!!

When you have the same problem, maybe you should consider reading the same answers (above)? I see nothing in those answers that do not apply to you.

Well thank you for those wise words.

In the meantime, I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had the problems described. The edit function worked fine last week, and I'm still using the same software and hardware, so something has changed and it is unlikely to be at my end. I'm awaiting a reply on a Bravenet ticket.

Don't bother to add to this stream unless you have got something helpful to say.

Thanks Dave. I'm glad it's not me. I have not changed browser or any other settings. The editing function has changed its look and freezes. I am hoping this is a problem with Bravesites and they will revert to the way it was.

OK. Don't provide any information. The fun is in the guessing.

My guess is this: You click on a place marked "Location empty".
You then Click on Content, then on a kind of content (Text/Content block, say). You ignore the fact that your cursor has sprouted arrows in all cardinal directions, and wait for the edit window to appear.

Instead, try dragging the Text/Content block symbol to your empty location.

Dear Corwings
I do not appreciate your facetious reply - this is not fun and how more clearly can I say that it does not work. It freezes and I cannot drag anything anywhere. I cannot cancel. I cannot do anything except close the window. Something that worked fine a few days ago is not working anymore. Why? I appreciate I am not a computer geek and I don't know how computers/browers/servers/systems work but I know this was working a few days ago and has now changed.

Hi Maggie,

In the new builder you now click and drag the new components to a page.

If this is not working for you, I need to know what page this is happening on. Is it all pages? What browser and operating system are you using?

Thank you,
Courtnie

Thank you Courtnie,
Someone who is explaining things simply and without ambiguity. So there is a 'new builder' - things have been changed on the bravesites, as I thought they must have. In fact I opened a support ticket and the lovely Doug explained things and although what Peter said in the first place makes sense now, I used google chrome and it seems to be working now. If it had been explained simply in the first place it would not have involved all these responses.

Hi Maggie,

I am happy to hear it is working now.

It sounds like Google Chrome might be causing some caching issues. If anyone else is experiencing these problems please clear you browser cache/cookies and try again.

Thank you and sorry for all the confusion.
Courtnie

I followed this thread and used the same solution - cleared the Cache in Chrome and the edit function is now working.

(Why is this the first time this problem has happened, I wonder, and what can I do to stop it happening again - even though I now know a fix?)

Hi Dave,

The changes we made to the builder we major. Google Chrome was trying to load parts of the new site and parts of the old cached version of the site - this is why this is the first time you have seen this.

You can try unchecking 'Predict network actions to improve page load performance' - this might help in the future. It is found in Chrome's settings under Privacy.

Courtnie

Many thanks!