Return to Help Center

Welcome to the Bravenet Help Forums. Here you can chat and meet other Bravenet Members. Please do not post advertisements.

Web Hosting Discussions
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
How long does it take for changes to propagate

I have just updated a webpage at
http://tht-japan.org/tht-journal.html

to update a pdf that is located here
http://tht-japan.org/publications/2014/Volume2Issue1Fall2014.pdf

I had previously uploaded and renamed the file, but it kept displaying the old pdf. This time, I uploaded a differently named file and changed the link in the page, and received a 404 warning. How long does it take for changes to propagate?

Re: How long does it take for changes to propagate

Changes are instant BUT to save bandwidth and improve response times your browser keeps copies of recently accessed pages (browser cache) and shows you these rather than going back across the web.

ISPs used to keep their own cache to control the amount of traffic with other web nodes, I don't know if any still do.

With Windows PCs and laptops pressing the f5 key will refresh your own browser cache and CTRL+f5 should refresh an ISP's cache. For non Windows devices check the vendor support documentation.

I am assuming that you are using your own internet connection, if you are using a public computer in a library or a networked computer at work you need to check with the appropriate system administrator.

Re: How long does it take for changes to propagate

Peter
Changes are instant BUT to save bandwidth and improve response times your browser keeps copies of recently accessed pages (browser cache) and shows you these rather than going back across the web.

ISPs used to keep their own cache to control the amount of traffic with other web nodes, I don't know if any still do.

With Windows PCs and laptops pressing the f5 key will refresh your own browser cache and CTRL+f5 should refresh an ISP's cache. For non Windows devices check the vendor support documentation.

I am assuming that you are using your own internet connection, if you are using a public computer in a library or a networked computer at work you need to check with the appropriate system administrator.

You are correct in that changes are instant. However it can take anywhere from instantly up to 24 hours for DNS to propagate across all DNS servers on the web. Our TTL (Time To Live) is set to 1 hour.