Return to Help Center

Welcome to the Bravenet Help Forums. Here you can chat and meet other Bravenet Members. Please do not post advertisements.

Forum: Web Hosting Discussions
This forum is locked and posting is not allowed
Author
Comment
Why does my site have the index.html at the end in the url in order for it to work?

Hi, I am very new to this side of the computer.. but I am excited to learn.. so I have a really cool sales page in a sub folder on my domain.. and I uploaded a template on the other part of the domain but it wont show in the url as xxcitebooks.com it shows up as xxcitebooks.com/index.html in order for it to show up on the web as live. Please help me figure out how to fix this problem thank you everyone..

Re: Why does my site have the index.html at the end in the url in order for it to work?

Nothing works for me

Re: Why does my site have the index.html at the end in the url in order for it to work?

When somebody visits your site the server has to show them a specific page. This can be any file although, of course, it is preferable to use file types supported by a web browser.

If the visitor just enters your domain name then the server has a set of standard home page file names which it checks for in a predetermined order.

Your present site's home page is index.php, presumably the site is written with php scripts rather than with static html. I imagine that the server is checking for index.php before index.html so it is always finding that page. If you are using a template to create static html then that will be a .html file and you will only find it by explicitly entering the whole name.

EDIT
Hey, the edit function is back - just to add, if you are playing about with your home page do make sure that you have made a back up first.