Return to Help Center

Welcome to the Bravenet Help Forums. Here you can chat and meet other Bravenet Members. Please do not post advertisements.

Forum: Web Hosting Discussions
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Why does my site have the index.html at the end in the url in order for it to work?

Hi, I am very new to this side of the computer.. but I am excited to learn.. so I have a really cool sales page in a sub folder on my domain.. and I uploaded a template on the other part of the domain but it wont show in the url as xxcitebooks.com it shows up as xxcitebooks.com/index.html in order for it to show up on the web as live. Please help me figure out how to fix this problem thank you everyone..

Re: Why does my site have the index.html at the end in the url in order for it to work?

Nothing works for me

Re: Why does my site have the index.html at the end in the url in order for it to work?

When somebody visits your site the server has to show them a specific page. This can be any file although, of course, it is preferable to use file types supported by a web browser.

If the visitor just enters your domain name then the server has a set of standard home page file names which it checks for in a predetermined order.

Your present site's home page is index.php, presumably the site is written with php scripts rather than with static html. I imagine that the server is checking for index.php before index.html so it is always finding that page. If you are using a template to create static html then that will be a .html file and you will only find it by explicitly entering the whole name.

EDIT
Hey, the edit function is back - just to add, if you are playing about with your home page do make sure that you have made a back up first.