Return to Help Center

Welcome to the Bravenet Help Forums. Here you can chat and meet other Bravenet Members. Please do not post advertisements.

Forum: Web Hosting Discussions
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Website not appearing in search engines

I've built a site in Sitebuilder using a domain name I purchased yesterday morning from Bravenet. The website loads if I type in the full URL but it doesn't appear when I do a Google search. Any ideas?

Re: Website not appearing in search engines

Takes time for google to pick it up. so give it 24 hrs at least

Thanks Glyn. Still very new to this web stuff.

Email  

You either need some links from sites already indexed by Google or to open a Google Webmaster Tools account and register your site. Otherwise Google won't know that you are there.

Indexing will be when they feel like, so it may take only hours or it may take months.

Thanks Peter. I've registered on Google Webmaster and waited, and waited and waited. I'm still waiting. The site appears in Bing and Yahoo searches. Am I missing something?

Your site is indexed by Google. Their data centres aren't always in sync so there is a period when some people will be able to find a new site while others can't. How well the site ranks for any particular search is another matter entirely.

Location is another issue as Google will often give priority to sites in the visitor's own country. Looking at your site there is nothing to say where you are so for a .com hosted in North America the default will be USA / Canada although the phone number format on your contact page looks English. Hopefully you have registered your location in Webmaster Tools.

English Mobile by the look of it

I assumed so. If not accompanied by a street address I would always use the international format for a phone number so that it is perfectly clear.