Return to Help Center

Welcome to the Bravenet Help Forums. Here you can chat and meet other Bravenet Members. Please do not post advertisements.

Web Hosting Discussions
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Has anyone actually seen the Bravenet email that notified users of termination of free web sites?

And if so, would they please post a copy?

Thanks.

Re: Has anyone actually seen the Bravenet email that notified users of termination of free web sites

I saw it but I don't keep copies of vendor announcements that out of date.

We have had this with every major change at Bravenet. They announce it well in advance and we get the inevitable outburst of surprise because:
1. People ignored the message
2. They read it and forgot
3. It went to an email account that they stopped using
4. Their email account treated it as spam
5. Their email provider pre-filtered it and refused to deliver it.

Pre delivery filtering is invisible to end users and a lot of people don't realise that it happens. It is a major issue with Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail and AOL.

Bravenet should have done more in the way of reminders as, if anything there was too much notice and no urgency for people to do anything before forgetting all about it.

Re: Has anyone actually seen the Bravenet email that notified users of termination of free web sites

I sure didn't. Is there any way that we can get an expired website back?

Peter
1. People ignored the message
2. They read it and forgot
3. It went to an email account that they stopped using
4. Their email account treated it as spam
5. Their email provider pre-filtered it and refused to deliver it.

I wonder why you have excluded:

6. Bravenet didn't sent the message to them.

barry
I sure didn't. Is there any way that we can get an expired website back?

At this time you can get an expired site back by upgrading to a paid level of FTP hosting. When you upgrade your site will automatically come back online like it was, without ads.

Courtnie

Courtnie?

How does that work, exactly? I'm not asking on my own behalf, but I logged on, and tried to find how to upgrading a free website. The links I could find all seemed to take me to exactly the same pages I would find if I were a new user interested in hosting.
The question: "Upgrade existing site or start new site"? Didn't appear before it was time to enter my credit card info, at which point I quit.

Could be, since I was logged on, that the system would automatically see to it that I upgraded my free site. But since there will also be people who have had a free site at one time, but who want to start a completely new site, that doesn't work well either.

Shouldn't there be a "click here to upgrade old site" link somewhere? Or did I miss it?

Re: Courtnie?

I apologize. There is no upgrade button. You simply choose what hosting package you want and after paying your website appears.

Sorry for the confusion,
Courtnie

Re: Courtnie?

*******EDITED AGAIN - REVIEWED PRIOR EMAILS*******
*******EDITED - SEE BELOW ORIGINAL MESSAGE*******

I did not receive any email regarding the changes to Bravenet/Bravehost regarding free hosting.

I fully understand the service was free, and accept that there is no obligation for Bravenet/Bravehost to continue hosting free of charge.

However, I would like to access the actual HTML so I don't have to rebuild the entire site from scratch. Is there any way to request my site's HTML files via email or download? This would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Alex's Armory

I received the following email immediately after posting the above question. I should mention that I've received every Bravenet/Bravehost email since I first registered many, many years ago because long ago I added Bravehost's reply email address to my whitelist. I didn't join today. I joined somewhere around 2002, if memory serves me. Possibly 2003. [EDIT - I joined on 10 February, 2006; Nearly 7 years ago]

I understand it's free, I really do. But I feel Bravenet/Bravehost could have been a bit more proactive in notifying its users.

The email reads as follows:

Thanks for joining! We hope you enjoy your new website. Visit the Getting Started section of our Wiki for help with building your new website.

Advantages of Bravesites.com
Easy editing in your browser
We make designing your website easy! You can see all your changes in real time using our visual editor.
Blog quickly and easily
Starting a blog takes no time at all! You can even link your blog to Facebook and Twitter!
Complete hosted solution
Host your website and e-mail with your own custom domain name. You can even register your own new domain!
Tons of website component blocks
Add image galleries, maps, blogs, and so much more to your website!

If you have any problems, please visit our Help Center

Enjoy your new service.
All the best,
The Bravenet Team

To subscribe to some of our useful and informative Webmaster Newsletters: Visit Here!
You can contact us by visiting http://bravenet.com/global/contact.php

© Bravenet Web Services, Inc., 100 East Jensen Avenue, Parksville, BC, Canada V9P 2H5

the actual HTML files...

Read Courtnies message - the first one, not the one just above yours. There you will find the answer to your question. Cost is 2.95 a month for a minimum of one year.

Re: the actual HTML files...

Thanks, I did read that.

What he states is that the site will be reinstated if you pay for the service. I'm not asking for that - I'm just asking for the HTML that I wrote manually.

No, I did not receive the e-mail. I have gmail so I basically save everything because there is so much space. The last e-mail I have from them is from 2008! And yes they do have my correct e-mail. Whatever, I will find another place for my websites which is free because I am not paying when there are free options out there.

I just discovered that my bravehost site has expired and I did not get any message from bravenet that it would be expiring. I had photos that on the site that I really wish I could have saved. I'm not in a position at present to pay even the lowest payment if it has to be a year at a time. I sure wish an announcement had been sent to me so that I could have saved the photos.

I don't know if this is the right site to ask this. My brother Bob Dolfi and Damon Lanza
started the LL Legend. My brother died 2 yrs ago and Marlene ook over. She has
kicked me off the site because of personal reasons. She stole all me brothers things that he saved for me. She is a liar and a thief but because she runs the site they all think she's geat. She stole Mario Lanza' s things among other things and she has the nerve to kick me off. WOW

No, I had several free websites (and some that I pay for) so I should have had several notifications but didn't receive a single one. It was embarrassing when one company contacted me to ask what was wrong with their site - and I found out that the free service was gone.