Since 1998...

Play chess with people from all around the world!

Chess Book Store - Correspondence Chess Books, Tournament Booklets and More!

Contact Admin |  TCCMB-A |  TCCMB-B |  Friends of TCCMBCompleted TCCMB Exhibition Matches  
The Correspondence Chess Place |  The Campbell Report |  Ralph Marconi's Chess Pages  | Interactive Fiction
 TCCMB Photo Album/Contact List | Chess Webmaster Tools | ICCF WebChess Server  | CNN Headline News

TCCMB Chess Quote of the Week
"It is astonishing how much hot water a master can wade into in the first dozen moves, despite a century of opening study."    
William Napier

Pending TCCMB Exhibition Matches!  |  TCCMB FAQ/Terms of Use |  Visit CC.COM's Online Store!

TCCMB Video (Windows Media Player)

Hey - We're all at the other forum - come and join us!

Welcome to TCCMB. First time users - see the FAQ/Terms of use. In order to post here, you need the password.

Forum: General Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Consider this

... In light of the recent topics about statistics regarding reflection time.

Try to categorize your cc ambitions along two (common) profiles :

a) You like to play the best chess in the limited time available in as many games as possible.

b) You like to play the best chess possible in any game and the time available should not lower the level of chess.

If you like to play for fun alone then a) is the obvious answer, but if you like good games and good results than a) is also a good profile. Pragmatism may trigger you to get quality chess in 80% of the games this way. The results can be good enough to still feel new challenges around the corner.

If you like to play for fun AND the fun part of maximum results then profile b) seems the only option available. If you can't stand losing then b) is also the only valid option. Every single game should be played as optimally as possible.

The 80% versus 100% question is interesting if you consider the reflection time for ICCF tournaments. What to adopt as a new rule when 90% of the games are finished with a surplus of reflection time left at the end ? Try to get the remaining 10% finished within the same timespan (tournament objective) ?

My personal hope is that ICCF will not be tempted to shorten the reflection time for the tournaments I like to compete in. Is it because I need all these days ? The answer of course is NO. I think 90% of my games are finished with lots of time left at the end, yet I believe that using more time in these games would have made any difference in terms results or the fun. In most cases there is just about enough information to make a decision. The crucial part for type b) players (like myself) is of course the small portion of games where decision making seems to a very time consuming process. Just 10% of the games can keep me awake for many nights. All to often I have the feeling that the "extra mile" will make all the difference for the final result, for that single game but probably also for the tournament.

Feel free to contribute your personal reflections about this "dilemma", I allready gave you mine :)

Ron Langeveld

Re: Consider this - by Ron Langeveld - Jun 13, 2007 7:40pm
Re: Consider this - by Uri Blass - Jun 17, 2007 6:15am
Re: Re: Consider this - by Wim van Vugt - Jun 17, 2007 8:21am
Re: Re: Re: Consider this - by Uri Blass - Jun 19, 2007 4:27am
Re: Re: Re: Re: Consider this - by Wim van Vugt - Jun 21, 2007 7:43am
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Free Blogs   Free Web Tools   Free Web Hosting 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com

FAQ/Terms of Use |  Chess Limericks |  Guestbook |  TCCMB Links | |  Play Java Blitz Now!