Return to Website

Feel free to post your Q’s & recipes

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Buttermilk

Hi to all:
Just passing on something that I discovered that makes fried food so much better. Today I was frying fish.

First I washed the fillets in cold water and patted them dry . Then soaked them in "buttermilk" for a couple minutes before coating them in plain yellow cornmeal seasoned with salt, cayenne pepper and lemon/black pepper and paprika. The buttermilk really makes a big difference in taste and keeps the coating firm and crunchy.Buttermilk has many uses I also found that when I add it to cakes when I use "splenda" for sugar free desserts it makes the cake etc. a lot more moist. That is one problem with using sugar substitutes the end product is not like using the real thing...sugar. Enough from the mouth of the south. thanks for all the wonderful reads...until next time....keep your burners ON!

Re: Buttermilk

We do not have butter milk in Israel. I cant realy relate to the subject.

I believe sour cream can be substitute . yes? / no?
I dont realy know.

===========

When you want a moisture cake, use oil instead of margarine or butter. Fantastic.

Sugar, too, (Oy vey) create tenderness . However, sponge cake without fat at all, is ternder due to the eggs.

Thanks

Elinoar

Re: Re: Buttermilk (make it yourself)

Hi and back to ya,
Thanks for your suggestions making a cake that is moist. I'll give it a try. Here is a way to make your own buttermilk for baking or other uses.

Take 1 cup 8 ounces of regular milk
Add 2 tablespoons of white vinegar
Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda

Mix well and let sit until it thickens or clabbers.

The southerns here in the USA..are big users of buttermilk it comes from heavy cream, when the cream rises to the top the leftover milk is buttermilk. The cream that is skimmed off the top is made into butter. It's used in baking buscuits for breakfast and in cakes...and many other recipes. Enjoy all the posts....keep it coming!

Re: Re: Re: Buttermilk (make it yourself)

SORRY ABOUT THE SAD FACE..IT WAS ERROR....I'M FEELING GREAT...HOPE YOU ARE TOO..HIT THE WRONG ICON...OUCH!