Welcome to the Athlone Triathlon Club Message Board
This Forum has been setup for discussing all things relating to ATC
Please read the Code of Conduct guidelines and be familiar with them.
They will be strictly enforced

Athlone Triathlon Club

NOTICE: Club Messageboard is currently full and not accepting new messages, please use new messageboard here

Athlone Triathlon Club
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Water Quality Coosan Point and Lough Ree

Hi all,
Regarding recent media reports about water quality in Lough Ree and more importantly Coosan point, I contacted Westmeath Co Co to clarify the situation, below is their response. Let me know if you would like a copy of the reports:

Jackie

Further to your recent query concerning water quality at Coosan Point, please find attached bathing water monitoring results for the 2011 season. Please note that the bathing water at Coosan Point has been analysed on two occasions this year and has been found to be of excellent quality in accordance with the Bathing Water Quality Regulations, 2008 (SI 79 of 2008). Furthermore, with specific regard to your concerns about recent media coverage of sewage discharges in the Athlone area, please be advised that there are no combined sewer overflows (CSO) from the public sewer at Coosan Point. The CSO referred to in recent media reports are located downstream of Lough Ree.

Re: Water Quality Coosan Point and Lough Ree

Jackie, I see that a month ago you were in touch with Westmeath County Council about the water quality in Coosan.

Now I'm not saying anything (that will only get me in trouble) but I've noticed a lot more 'plankton' like material in the water recently. After swimming there yesterday (and without going into the gory details) today I woke up as 'sick as a parrot' and 'weak as a kitten'.

As there may be a connection, it seems sensible to point this out to others, just to be on your guard.

I know, it's easy to say 'just avoid drinking the stuff' but who can do that 100%?

Has anyone else been affected like this recently?

Norman, I did a long swim there on Sunday and had no problems with the water quality, no sick dogs around. I didn't notice any scum on the surface but there was a bit more of the usually stuff floating around underneath.

I was in Friday and Sunday with no problems...still alive and havent started turning any funny green colours!!!

I went for a swim there last night and no problems. I feel fine (and yep I did manage to swallow some water)

Well I reckon 'forewarned is forearmed' and I'm happy for those who have not been struck down - if only for a day.

In another thread Emer Kilmartin tells of a local person who has got Wheel's Disease or Weil's disease. This can very serious and even fatal - as related in an article in The Guardian.

Whilst I had some of those symptoms, a day in bed and dosing with paracetamol seems to have cleared it up - so I may have been lucky. But the water in which we swim at Coosan is slow moving and even stagnant in places. According to the experts this increases the risk of different bacterial infections, so it just seems sensible to be vigilant.

Oh, and not wanting to alarm Wiggly et al but the incubation period for these type of infections is between 3 and 21 days!

:::: FORUM CODE OF CONDUCT ::::

We created the Code of Conduct to provide a basic understanding of what's allowed and not allowed in our forums. The following are the principle guidelines for the establishment and enforcement of our CoC:
* Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
* Ensure the privacy of our members and that of others
* Comply with existing laws
* Encourage responsible use of our forums and discourage activities which disrupt our community and reduce the value of our services to our visitors
* Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
Password Protected Forum for Club Members ONLY. To request a password Please E-mail athlonetriclub@hotmail.com