Welcome to the Athlone Triathlon Club Message Board
This Forum has been setup for discussing all things relating to ATC
Please read the Code of Conduct guidelines and be familiar with them.
They will be strictly enforced

Athlone Triathlon Club

NOTICE: Club Messageboard is currently full and not accepting new messages, please use new messageboard here

Athlone Triathlon Club
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sunday spins.

Just wondering what the story is with the Sunday spins? Since the Tri club spin was cancelled on the Saturday and moved to Sunday there was initially an A group for the advanced, a B group for the itermediates and improvers and a C group for beginners going at a speed suitable for each group. However now there seems to be a C group for beginners, a B and B+ all in the one group. And the B+ seem to be dragging the speed up and trying to crucify the improvers and intermediates in the B group. Can some of the committee members clear this up for me as I am at a total loss as to whats going on.
Thomas Murray

Re: Sunday spins.

well tom as a member of the committee i was of the same understanding as yourself , there was to be three groups beginner (c) , intermediates (b) and the advanced (a).The idea of the three groups was that all levels be catered for and that as time goes by people progress up the groups,but i went with the b group last Sunday week and from what i saw it was the a group i was in.The group was split at millers and the pace into a head wind was tasty .If the b group continues like that there is noway any of the c group will ever be able to progress to the b group. There seems to be no control on the b group it all depends on who is on the front and how fast they want to go.Hopefully this problem can be sorted out before we start to lose numbers and potential members.

There was no A group for the last two weeks as most of them were racing.I wasn't out yesterday but on Sunday week the group stopped in Shannonbridge and split with some going home via Clonmacnoise and the rest going home via Cloghan.As far as im concerned the group i was in stayed together and were together at Knockinea Hill.As far as i know it was the same yesterday,but maybe someone will clarify this.

Yeah, the pace and distance seems to have increased a bit in the B group but on a good surface and with a fair wind most people seem to manage ok. For those who struggle I say 'keep struggling' it makes you stronger.

Being a B grouper I'd suggest that the first 3/4 (or so) of the spin be at an agreed pace which keeps everyone together. Stronger riders might then be allowed to increase the speed over the last few Ks both to bring on the improvers and to test themselves. Ideally this should be decided on before the start.

Also, one experienced rider should be appointed 'whipper in' (stays at the back) so that as weaker riders fall off the pace they are not left on their own. This way everyone should get a good training spin to match their level of fitness and experience.

The 'whipper in' is particularly needed when new or former C group members join the B group. It can be quite disheartening to be left tailed off, alone and exhausted with the sight of the group disappearing over the horizon.

Having said that I for one appreciate the help and encouragement given by those who hang back and keep the rest of us in order.

As said on the Shannonside site, I think Sunday went well and I explained why I thought that. I also have had positive feedback from several ATC and SSCC members about Sunday's spin.

In fairness, we have tried all sorts of arrangements to facilitate the wonderful turnout of riders each Sunday. Nearly every week has presented a new challenge, for example, low turn out due to extreme weather or inadequate numbers of riders for a separate A group due to the onset of the racing season.

With a large racing team this year the A group will always be diminished on Sundays. Until a number of the strong B's, who should leave the other B's to ride separately, decide to form a new A group, we will always be presented with the scenario where there are 5 or so A's and 30 to 40 B's.

Late departures have also been an issue but I think that is rectified now. I see no great problem with the A&B group 'riding out' together when there are very few A's. It would be better though, if the B's split to supplement the A group because a group of >20 on the road is a major obstacle to traffic and less likely to control it's pace. Whether they do or don't split, that B group must be controlled at 26kph until a stop and split is arranged.

Sunday was good except the pace should have been lower till the split point. I spoke to several people at different times on the front re slowing it down but it tends to creep back up once the front rotates again. The solution may entail having the constant presence of a controller at the front.

I agree with Emmett that the gap between C's and B's is a wide one and probably daunting. However, the C's are progressing in distance and pace terms, thanks in no small part to the regular tutelage of Gerry Callaghan and the ATC committee members who appear every week as per their rota. A group that started with 20k spins is now doing 35k and finishing fresh by all accounts. The 'B' group, if controlled at 26kph, may soon be in the sights of some of the C group.

It is very easy to be critical of something every week if you look hard enough for fault. I think uppermost should be the positives which are camaraderie, increased fitness, choice and variety which are available under the new model. Certainly, no one is trying to 'crucify' other riders.

We are now strict on the departure time and we need to get stricter on the pace of the B group. Slowing it significantly will perhaps force the stronger riders to ride on ahead or ride separately which will be good for the B group.

So, my suggestions in summary are:

Keep developing the C group;
the B group self-selects and splits itself so that stonger B's become the new A group (and existing A's fall in with that); and
the real B group then rides at 26kph as agreed way back. Keeping that pace will hopefully encourage stronger riders to move to the faster group and slower rides to give it a go.

Finally, I want to thank Norman for his positive comments.

Jim I wasnt trying to find fault for want of something better to do or just to be picky. but there are certain individuals that were there on Sunday morning who were to the pin of their collar trying to hang on. Norman's comments were very valid but people can only progress if the speed is controlled,and your suggestion would be the answer if it was put into action.

To echo Tommy's post. I neither was trying to fault find or be picky.
I had seen a few issues which needed to be addressed before they escalated.
Jim's post has hopefully addressed these issues and the Sunday spins can accommodate all, and in doing so will better both clubs and riders.
Thanks
Emmett

Go on Murray, ya boy ya!

There was a discussion on the Shannonside CC site last month similar to this topic. Click the link to see the opinions then:

My own post at the time is below:

I agree that there are loads of riders in the B group that could be in the A group. I think some people are just putting up miles at a slower pace, and as you have identified they are as a consequence (knowingly or unknowingly) raising the pace in the B group. I think some of it may be the age old fear of the A group. Others would have felt that the A group was too fast for the time of the year so opted for the B group. Having said that though Woof has pointed out that the Cycling racing season starts this week as opposed to the month of May for the real Triathlon season so the A bunch probably should be hammering it a little bit anyway.
The only solution might be to have the B group strictly marshalled by maybe two riders. If the B group was to be controlled at the agreed 25-28kph average then the stronger riders will just have to comply or chance the A group next time. This might not work either as sometimes people just don't listen when they are told to slow down for the benefit of the genuine B group riders. Everybody should soon enough find the level and group that they are comfortable with anyway.

A new 'C' Group might be warranted but that requires managing too but might help break up the large B group. The exising C's would become the D group. The only concern really should be that people are not lost to either club as they are not being given a sporting chance at their current abilty/fitness level.

I think that there could be bigger problems in the coming weeks when people who have done nothing all winter and have missed the spins since January turn up again expecting everyone to hold on for them. That is where a new C group might merit some consideration. The B and new C group could take the same route & distance and even start together. The B's higher pace naturally would break them away from the new C's out the road.

Ultimately though each individual has to take responsibility for choosing their own group but also take responsibly for cycling more than one day a week and getting fitter that way. SSCC and ATC can't be everything to everyone and cater for every individual whim and need.

All of the above was written last month but I feel that both clubs are doing a great job with the Sunday spins.

:::: FORUM CODE OF CONDUCT ::::

We created the Code of Conduct to provide a basic understanding of what's allowed and not allowed in our forums. The following are the principle guidelines for the establishment and enforcement of our CoC:
* Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
* Ensure the privacy of our members and that of others
* Comply with existing laws
* Encourage responsible use of our forums and discourage activities which disrupt our community and reduce the value of our services to our visitors
* Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
Password Protected Forum for Club Members ONLY. To request a password Please E-mail athlonetriclub@hotmail.com