Welcome to the Athlone Triathlon Club Message Board
This Forum has been setup for discussing all things relating to ATC
Please read the Code of Conduct guidelines and be familiar with them.
They will be strictly enforced

Athlone Triathlon Club

NOTICE: Club Messageboard is currently full and not accepting new messages, please use new messageboard here

Athlone Triathlon Club
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Malin to Mizen 3 day Cycle?

Hi,

Having missed out twice on the recent Malin to Mizen charity cycles I'm planning to take this on mid summer. A few people I've spoken to have also expressed an interest.

I intend keeping it low key, low cost and low speed!! As I said, this is over 3 days consisting of roughly 200km (120m) a day. This is very achievable with a consistent group of riders sharing the workload at a steady pace (no heroes allowed) and no doubt a bit of banter along the way!!

I hope to limit it to between 10 - 15 people. No exact details confirmed yet but the rough details would be as follows:

Thur 14th July - Travel by Bus to Accom near Malin.

Fri 15th July - Start cycling from Malin to Boyle ish?

Sat 16th July - Start cyling from Boyle to Limerick ish?

Sun 17th July - Start cycling from Limerick to Mizen head.

Monday 18th July - Throw bikes into sea and get bus home to Athlone after few beers the night before!!

The dates are roughly 2 weeks after tri athlone and you also have 2 great cycling tours the month before (Burren Tour and Wicklow) so loads of time to get the miles in!!

There will also be a support van along the trip and food and drink supplies. We had planned to do this on a bank holiday weekend but have decided against this due to extra traffic and increased accomodation costs etc.

As I said, there are not too many people who can say they have cycled the entire length of the country. It is a great way to see Ireland and rumour has it the legend Jim McQuire completed this in less than 24 hours so no excuses!!!

I will get alot of food sponsored and the costs will be as low as possible. All we need now is numbers. I will require a deposit when names and details are confirmed.

So please respond to post if you in. Interested parties were: David Seery, Tom Murray, Adrian Dolan, Jim Mcquire, Brian Neville, Emet Kelly, Conor Kelly, Seamus Byrne, Damien and Kevin Larkin, Tom Kiely, David Quigley and more....

Aspiring Ironmen, surely this is a must? Sure if it gets very bad, we'll all tuck in behind the beast (Tommy Murray)

David Seery

Re: Malin to Mizen 3 day Cycle?

Dave - if you can be believed about keeping the pace at a reasonable level, then count me in......otherwise, I'd be happy to drive the support vehicle!
G.

Dave sounds like a plan
Put my name down please

Thanks

Sounds like a challenge... please put down my name also.
Richard

Well done Dave for putting time and effort into organising this trip, You can count me in!

Adrian

Dave

Those dates good for me. Fair play for the effort to organise. Just have to oil up that chain and buy few more tubes. Record on my 2 cycles year to date not good. Can only get better.

Tom

That sounds good to me Dave. Count me in. Thanks.

count me in dave . if it doesnt kill me it might make me stronger .

Should be free on those dates. Would like to be included in this. Thanks Dave

Well Dave, you just mentioned it to me yesterday but obviously you must have twisted my arm. The route will have to be well planned especially the over night in Boyle. This will have to be top of the agenda. Have you ever spent time there or even just passed through it, enough said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you stick my name down Davie cheers, sounds deadly

Good Stuff Dave count me in

Count me in please.

Hi,

Count me in please.

Thanks
Damien Larkin

Hi All.

Great Response. I limiting this to 15 people and am waiting on lads to confirm so no more places available. Those that have responded, I'll set up a mail group with costs and routes so get the finger out and start training!!

Thanks
David Seery

P.S I'll get in 10 ltr buckets of Vaseline for those delicate with the bike saddle!!

count me in dave

Hi Dave

Know I have missed the boat but if you are still considering please count me in

ta

FF

Hi Dave,

Likewise if anyone else drops out count me in!

Mark

Hi All,

A few of us have been working away on this. We are making progress and will confirm a price once we have definite numbers.

Rather than updating the club site, could those that replied text me on 0868192023 or email dave_seery@yahoo.co.uk as I don't have some numbers. I will set up a mail text group with all the subsequent details.

The group is now at 20 with the increased demand so again please text or email me if you still interested.

Thanks Again
David Seery

P.S Deposits will be required once things finalised. I'll set up a future sat spin together to co-ordinate this.

Im in too

Count me in

Hi All,

I am organising a meeting in the Bounty Bar at 7.30pm Sunday 6th Feb to co-ordinate this.

We hope to discuss initial plans / routes and costings. The tour group is now closed and thanks to all for their responses.

See ye in the Bounty.

Dave Seery

P.S This won't be easy but sure if it was, we'd have it done by now!!

:::: FORUM CODE OF CONDUCT ::::

We created the Code of Conduct to provide a basic understanding of what's allowed and not allowed in our forums. The following are the principle guidelines for the establishment and enforcement of our CoC:
* Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
* Ensure the privacy of our members and that of others
* Comply with existing laws
* Encourage responsible use of our forums and discourage activities which disrupt our community and reduce the value of our services to our visitors
* Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
Password Protected Forum for Club Members ONLY. To request a password Please E-mail athlonetriclub@hotmail.com