Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dale surname

Would SKS with access to the 1851 Census for Sheffield locate a George and Ann Dale both aged approx 50 and their family, could be living on Grove Row at Hillfoot

I note that the 1851 Census is being transcribed by the S & DFHS but hasn't been updated in years !

Re: Dale surname

No good matches at Ancestry in a quick search.

Some family names might provide some options.

At 111 Portobello St is Ann Dale (can’t read condition), 53 with son George 24, Ann 23 “wife” (presumably of George) born Ireland. Others: George 3 son, Ann Elizth 1 mo, Thomas son 19 grinder, Alfred son 14(/)

Good morning Terry and a big thanks, that's the family.

I am trying to locate where George Dale b 1797 is buried

He isn't with the family, I will presume he died sometime between 1841 and 1851

He is not recorded on the burial information on this site, he could possibly be in the General Cemetery.

Apologies if I am late in responding. Still having trouble accessing this site even after advice from the Webmaster and Elaine

There is a burial for a George dale who died in Sep 1846 aged 9 and is buried at Shalesmoor St Philips could that be yours?

George Dale aged 49 was buried on 22nd September 1846 at St.Philip's church. I believe that the graves were moved to section H of Abbey Lane.

Ted thats the one I found but haha my stupid typo missed the 4 off. Must proof read before posting in future.

following on, when they were move to Abbey Lane, did the headstones go too if they had any?

About Alfred: I had 14(/) Should have been 14(?). I note Ancestry transcribed the age as 11. That matches the baptism in this site.

There are numerous family trees at Ancestry for this family. Some claim George Dale is the one whose death was recorded at Sheffield September quarter 1846, but no supporting material.

The GRO index has age 49.

All the graves from St Philips were placed in a communal grave at Abbey Lane, no memorial stones were taken there.

A big thanks to you all for the information provided !

Wondering now where George's wife Ann was buried

Is there a list of the names of those moved from St Philips to Abbey Lane

Is Ann still showing in the 1861 Census ?

You are all good people responding as you do

Many thanks

Roger

Apologies if I am late in responding. Still having trouble accessing this site even after advice from the Webmaster and Elaine

********************************************************************************************************

Roger if you are still having problems contact Denise again.

Elaine.

28 Nov 1852 at Attercliffe Chapelry
Ann Dale W. 56. married William Morrell W., 53.. Her father was Thomas Sayles

This might be your lady, because on

7 Feb 1819 at Sheffield Parish Church
George Dale married Ann Sayles

Anne

Hi Roger,
Following on from Anne with the 1852 marriage to William Morrell.
There is an Ann Morrell death record on GRO for Sept qtr, 1860. Ecclesall Bierlow. Age 64 (B:abt. 1796).
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Good evening Anne

Yes, that's George's wife, I was aware of her Sayles maiden name

Thanks

Roger

Good evening Wendy and thanks

Fascinating stuff as usual !

Roger

Hi Elaine

My access problem is intermittent, I will persevere for the time being

Roger

Good evening all

I asked the question if there is a list of the deceased's names who were moved from St Philips to Abbey Lane ?
Such a list if it exists could be very useful !

Be cautious on the death of Ann Morrell, there is one buried in July 1860 aged 64 in the General Cemetery and it says she was the wife of Joseph a cutler

Roger Stevenson
Good evening all

I asked the question if there is a list of the deceased's names who were moved from St Philips to Abbey Lane ?
Such a list if it exists could be very useful !
Roger,

Looking at a map of Abbey Lane Cemetery Section "H" is very close to Abbey Lane entrance.

I am not aware of any list of folks that were moved from St Philips to Abbey Lane. Sheffield Archives would be the best folks to ask.

Section "H" just for interest sake also had the remains from the Cathedral, St Paul Pinstone St St Mary Bramall Lane as well as St Philips.

This information is taken from SDFHS Booklet "The Small Guide to Nonconformist and Roman Catholic Churches in Sheffield. Section "H" is in the consecrated section.

Elaine.

Could this be William Morrells burial?

MORRELL, William (, died on ?, at the age of 64).
Resided at Waterloo Houses and buried on 18 Oct 1863 in ? ground;
Grave Number ?, Section ? of St Philips Cemetery, Shalesmoor.

Elaine.

Hi John

I will leave a search for the burial location of Ann for another day !

Roger

Hi Elaine

I live round the corner from Abbey Lane Cemetery, will call and see what sort of general memorial stone if any is in that section.
A visit to the archives or may be a phone call is on my agenda.

Once again folks, my thanks for your help

Roger

A bit of information for those interested relating to Abbey Lane Cemetery in Sheffield
Entering the cemetery through the Abbey Lane entrance.
Go down the main path, then turn right alongside the wall on the back of the houses until you come to a monument which commemorates the deceased who were moved from the grave yard of St Pauls in 1938, now the site of the Peace Gardens. I read that remains were removed to Abbey Lane from St Philips and the Cathedral. There is no monument relating to those folks !

I have a photo of the monument if anyone is interested
e mail me at oldpark43@hotmail.com and I will send a photo

Roger

Some notes about the reburial of remains from St Philip's at Abbey Lane:

They are buried in section B (consecrated), not H (despite some places on the web saying otherwise).

They are against the same wall as Roger describes but almost as far as you can get from the gate.

A handful of gravestones were taken from the churchyard to Abbey Lane to cover the relevant plots. There is also one larger memorial. There are a few photos I took when I visited in the Wardsend FaceBook group, here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/wardsendcemeteryproject/permalink/1814332715254583/

The (horizontal) gravestones were almost entirely hidden under vegetation.

As far as I know the remains were not identified or differentiated as to family/grave when they were removed in 1991. Someone on SheffieldForum (I think) said that they had taken part in this job and there was a surprisingly small amount.

I found after my visit that there was an earlier reburial of remains from St Philip's after road widening in 1950. This was further out in section B from the wall. I don't know if those plots are marked. I mean to go and take a look, but I haven't managed it yet.

The MIs were recorded before the churchyard was cleared in 1991. The Archives have a copy which I have photographed. I intend to transcibe them but I haven't got very far.

There are two DALE MIs as follows:

ref: 98/395
Sacred / to the memory of / GEORGE DALE who died September 20 / 1846, aged 49 years / He lived respected and died lamented

ref: 98/155
Sacred / to the memory of HANNAH the / wife of JAMES DALE, who de / parted this life Novr 14th 1834 / aged 59 years /
Also of the above JAMES DALE, who departed this life / Octr 5th 1835, aged 46 years

correction: the road-widening at St Philip's was 1967 not 1950

Good evening Hugh and many thanks for your contribution to this thread !
Will have to get my boots on again and have a look further !

Is it sadness, annoyance or frustration re the removal of remains, that more effort could have been made in preserving memorials and recording information ?

All three, certainly as far as recording is concerned. Earlier closures and reductions of graveyards in Sheffield seem to have been done with much more care.

Take, for example, the removal of remains and shifting of memorials at St Mary's Bramall lane in 1960 (again for road widening). Hidden in the 'Yorkshire Burials' at FMP is the report submitted to the GRO after the work, with MIs and a plot by plot listing of remains found and where they were re-buried at Abbey Lane. There are detailed plans of the plots affected in the churchyard.

They couldn't name individuals - I think the report says they only found 3 coffin plates. But the meticulous work seems to show much more respect for the dead and their families than appears to have been shown in 1991.

If you have FMP you can find that report by searching the Yorkshire Burials for (eg) Ann COLBRIDGE, died 1864, place 'Sheffield'.

The 1967 St Philip's report is also there. Search for Samuel ROWOOD, died 1852, and choose the result with place 'Sheffield' rather than the St Philip's one (which is the burial register)

Hugh