Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help required to find a burial for Sarah Silvester/Sylvester knee Atkin

G'day

Thomas her husband was buried at Crookes 21.5.1862. He was a Cutler.

He was widow on 1841 census and their last child was born about 1836.

I've found 2 possible death index records in FREEBMD but not enough information for to me to identify which is the one I want.
Ideally burial ground would be good as death will be a day before if that.

Any help is most welcome

Re: Help required to find a burial for Sarah Silvester/Sylvester knee Atkin

If you use GRO index for Deaths you will discover age at death for each of the two deaths you have.
Dave

Dave

can you flick me a link please?

Currently in a loop that includes ordering a certificate and logging in to do that. I just want to look as you suggested.

Scratch that. Im in the right spot but it does not give me age.

I am after the burial record rather than the death index as that will inform the death index

cheers

Since 1837 the death certificate is required before burial can take place. So the Death index informs the Burial record.

The GRO Index gives age at death for all registered deaths from 1837 to the 1920s and from 1985 to 2021. GRO index requires registration but it is free of charge.
Here are the 2 records of burials in Sheffield.

SILVESTER, SARAH ANN Age 0
GRO Reference: 1840 J Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 22 Page 434

SYLVESTER, SARAH Age 63
GRO Reference: 1841 M Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 22 Page 469

Dave

The Sarah who died in 1841 was the widow of Edmund Sylvester of Barkers Pool.

Leisa - you say that Thomas was a widow in the 1841 census. That census doesn't give marital statuses though, so all that we can infer from it is that Thomas didn't have a wife staying with him the night before the census was taken. He might not necessarily have been a widower. For example, she might have been away visiting family, or the couple might have split up.

Heths

Hi Heather et al,
In 1851 there is a Thomas Sylvester age 55 Widowed Occ:Cutler with his son Charles Sylvester age 17 born Warwick(?)/single also a cutler, both are boarding with the head of the house:
Sarah Gow (aka Jow) age 42 widow
two Gow daughters and another lodger.
In 1852 Dec qtr. Rotherham district there is a marriage between:
Thomas Silvester and Sarah Jow

In 1861 we see a Thomas Sylvester(married) (65),Sarah Sylvester (54)wife, Charles Sylvester (27)single(son) and Walter Jow (4) (grandson??) (could Walter be the son of Thomas Sylvester Jnr born 1840...?? Or was it their son Charles sowing his wild oats..?? Or Sarah Gow & Thomas Snr..??
HAPPY HUNTING :sleuth_or_spy:

There’s a burial 29 Jan 1837 Warwick for a Sarah Silvester aged 40.
As Charles was born in Warwick, could that be her?

Heths

In fact there are a couple of baptisms 10 August 1833 Warwick for a Charles Silvester and an Eliza Silvester, both with parents Thomas (a labourer) and Sarah, and their address was Bowling Green St. So that 1837 burial might be the right one.

Heths

G'day
Someone wrote WID next to his name on the Census. As you say there is no provision on that style of form for marital status.

Thank you Dave.

Thomas was a cutler not a labourer

Thomas the father was not born in Warwickshire. He was born in Sheffield. All 3 census 1841, 51 & 61 living in Sheffield working as a Cutler. I have him married to a Sarah Milnes in 1852 but not entirely wedded to that yet because that marriage was in Rotherham. I've no evidence he lived in Warwickshire.

Thomas as you say was buried in Crookes in 1862 aged 66, do we know how old Sarah was?

there is a burial for a sarah Sylvester in 1882 aged 75 (born 1807) also buried in St Thomas's church Crookes, Could this be her?

There is no marriage in 1852 for Thomas S*lvester to Sarah Milnes.
There is a marriage in Dec 1852 to Sarah Jow, as Wendy indicated.

Thomas was not a cutler in 1861. He was a Brass Turner. This means he was a labourer who moved around as he worked for different people. Cutler is a generic term which means he was working in the cutlery industry in 1841 and 51but had moved to the brass industry by 1861.

1n 1841 51 and 61 he consistently has with him a son Charles 5, 17, 27 resp). In both 1851 and 61 Charles is born WARWICK.
That is evidence that Thomas Sylvester was living in Warwick when Charles (and his sister Eliza) was born. And you have the baptism records for Charles and his sister Eliza in Warwick (as Heather indicated).
The death you are looking for is the one in Warwick.(as identified by Heather)

Thomas was born in Sheffield. His first 4 children (William, Thomas, Mary and Sarah) were born in Sheffield. Then Charles and Eliza(probably twins)were born in WARWICK and his wife Sarah died in Warwick (1837). He moved back to Sheffield before 1841 and married Sarah Jow (widow) in 1852.
In 1861 Thomas is in Sheffield with wife Sarah, son Charles, b Warwick and grandson Walter Jow born 1857 the illegitimate son of Elizabeth Jow, Sarah Jows daughter who died in 1860 age 21. Strictly speaking Walter Jow was step-grandson to Thomas Sylvester.
Dave

Sarah seems to have died before 1841 as she was not on the census and Thomas listed as widowed

Thank you Dave for explaining that. I have him being a Brass filer for 1861.

Milnes is Sarah Jowe's maiden name. She married him in 1830 and I have used her maiden name.

I originally had Sarah Atkin as death in Warwickshire so now that you have explained I can add it back again.

To complete the picture on Thomas' varying occupation: son Thomas married in 1844 and said father a cutler. That is consistent with 1841 and 1851. Daughter Eliza married in 1856 and said her father Thomas was a Scythe maker. I assume he was then labouring for son William, who was a Scythe maker according to 1841 census.
DAVE

Hi Leisa,

Just noticed your comment re Crookes Cemetery.

Crookes is a a municipal cemetery and opened about 1906.

Therefore the possible burial was St Thomas Crookes churchyard.First Burial 1841.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Elaine, that was my error shortening name to Crookes. You are correct of course the cemetery is Thomas etc

cheers