Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Acaster burials at St Johns cemetery

There are 3 burials from the same family buried at St John’s but I am trying to find out if they are in the same grave, if it was privately owned and if anyone else is in with them. There aren’t enough grave details to check that on here so hundreds of names come up when I search for the same grave info. Would anyone have the originals or do I need to go to the archives?
The family members are:
Elizabeth Acaster died 1853
Alice Ancaster (but should be Acaster) died 1856
James Acaster died 1867
Many thanks

Re: Acaster burials at St Johns cemetery

Hi Claire,

From memory...... I believe that none of the "churchyards" have a plot number on the records. The only way to be 100% sure is to check with the Archives.

Elaine.

Many thanks Elaine, I’ll enquire at the archives.

Hi Claire, I've had the same problem myself with the St. Johns Park cemetery. I visited the the church yard and there are many headstones layed down flat, but very difficult to find anything. I haven't tried the archives yet, I would be interested to know if you find what your looking for.
Regards
Darren

This is part of the reply I had from the archives:
‘We hold burial records for St John Cemetery (Park) at our City Archives site on Shoreham Street. These cover the years 1840-1924, although it is unlikely that a parish register will record all the occupants of one plot.’
So it’s unlikely I will get my answer. I will wait until I have a few queries for an archive visit and check it then.
I also checked with the church itself and they don’t hold any records.
Claire

Hi Claire,

Now back home I can answer your question more fully.

ACASTER, Elizabeth (, died on ?, at the age of 40).
Resided at Granville St and buried on 16 Oct 1853 in ? ground;
Grave Number ?, Section ? of St John Cemetery, Park.

ACASTER, James (, died on ?, at the age of 19).
Resided at Union Workhouse and buried on 26 Oct 1867 in ? ground;
Grave Number ?, Section ? of St John Cemetery, Park.
Notes: . Place of Birth: . Parent(s): .

The information is from SDFHS Cd of material gathered for the NBI.

As you can see no grave or section noted.

One of our old friends of Sheffield Indexers managed to photograph many plots from a number of cemeteries which included St John's Park where as already noted grave stones and been placed engravings face down... Unfortunately those photographs have been lost???? as the photographer became ill.

The biggest loss was City Road Cemetery.

Church/chapel registers have all been placed at Sheffield Archives once they are full or have reached a certain cut off date.

Hope that helps a little not an easy quest from what I understand the situation is at St Johns.

Take care

Elaine.

Many thanks for the info Elaine. Such a shame about the photos, though it’s doubtful this family had headstones.