Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mary Elizabeth Asstrop

I have had help from you before for the Asstrop family. I am now looking at Mary Elizabeth Asstrop born 1855 baptised with her sisters 3 Feb 1864 mother Sarah nee Bonnington (1831 to 1874)and father John (1831 to 1863).

I think her marriage is on here but has surname as Hastrop to William Hitching 3 March 1873 the age is correct and father's name and occupation. I am struggling to find Mary Elizabeth and William then going forward, census, deaths or children. Can anyone help?

Re: Mary Elizabeth Asstrop

Hi,

Have you looked at FreeBMD to sort out the name and date. That would be where I would start.

Which Church were they married from?

If we have an incorrect name for the bride our Webmaster Denise can change it for you. I am away at the moment so unable to access our data.

If you look on the HOME Page of the site you will see where it states problems can be dealt with by the Webmaster. Just click on WEBMASTER and we will go from there.

Elaine
Site Admin

Thank you it was Sheffield Parish Church. There seem to be lots of spellings of the name but I believe the original to be Asstrop.

The original image does say Hastrop, but she signed with a mark. The vicar must have just written the surname as it sounded to him.

Heths

Thanks Heather,

I had just checked FreeBMD and they have her surname as Hastrop.

So no changes needed in our database.

Its that Yorkshire "thing" dropping and adding "H's". BUT we alllllll know about it. LOL.

Elaine.

Thank you that is fine, I don't know if anyone has any further information about her after her marriage?

just an idea but could Maryhave died before the 1881 census say during childbirth and hence thats the reason for no children found.

John

Thanks John, yes could be but I can't find a death either. They were quite a complicated family before her marriage and not on any census I can find.

Helen, I wonder if this illegit birth 1n 1871 was to your Mary Elizabeth?
Name: Mother's Maiden Surname:
HASTROP, ANN ELIZA -
GRO Reference: 1871 D Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 319

The birth cert is available as a digital image for £2.50.

Her 1889 marriage is on this site.

ASTROP, Anne Eliza (Spinster, age 18, ~, residing at 1ct 2h Furnace Hill).
Married John Thomas MIDDLETON, on October 6, 1889, by Carus Vale Collier (Banns) at
St Jude, Moorfields. Father's name is James Langwith (Hawker).
Married in the presence of William Flood, Martha Ann Brayford.
Notes: ~.
Page No: 181 Reg No: 362

Unusually, she named her biological father!!!

If you get the Birth reg, please let us know. It could lead to more info.
Dave

A family tree at Ancestry claims a death matching this burial from the records here:
Middleton, Annie E (Married, age 25).
Died at Firvale Workhouse; Buried on November 10, 1896 in Roman Catholic ground;
Grave Number 3881, Section GG of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.

And that this record is for a daughter
Middleton, Annie (Child, age 4).
Died at 174 Lancing Rd; Buried on January 27, 1891 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 12775, Section X of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.

The 1889 marriage:
"Father's name is James Langwith (Hawker)."

The Langwith name too is a bit thin on the ground.

Sheffield Independent 18 Feb 1871 (paraphrase): James Langwith (Balm Green) was one of 4 shoe blacks convicted of playing pitch and toss and obstructing the footpath. Fined 1s 3d & costs but as the money was not forthcoming they were committed to prison.

Helen, no need to get the birth record for Ann Eliza Astrop registered 1871.

The following 3 baptism records, ALL CONSECUTIVE AND ON THE SAME DAY 16th April 1879 at Hollis Croft (FMP) clearly identify the family you are looking for:
Born 10.10 1871 Ann Eliza ASTROP of 7 Ct Pea Croft, mother Mary Elizabeth
Born 5.6.1874 Sarah Ann MITCHELL, of 7 Ct Pea Croft father William (Spring knife cutler), Mother Mary Elizabeth
Born 4.2 1897 Charlotte MITCHELL of 7 Ct Pea Croft father William (Spring knife cutler), Mother Mary Elizabeth.

So William Hitching was actually William Mitchell.

From this you can easily find the family on 1881 census and from there you can follow them on 1891 (with more children), 1901 and 1911. Also because in 1881 William's mother Deborah Mitchell is with them, you can identify William with his parents in 1871, 1861 and 1851.

It really stretches the imagination to speculate how William Mitchell became William Kitching on the 1873 marriage to Mary Elizabeth Hastrop

Dave

Dave could william have been born illegit then soon after his birth his mother married a Mr Mitchell and on all the census returns etc put Mitchell. If he was born illegit if he was baptised was it as a Mitchell?

Correction. CHARLOTTE Ws born 1879 not 1897.
Dave

The plot thickens:
There is (FMP) a Sheffield Baptism on 16 April 1854 of William Kitching born 16 April 1847 with father William (cutler) and mother Deborah. But 3 yrs earlier on the 1851 census it is William MITCHELL with wife Deborah and son William (3).
It would seem that William was their only child and Deborah was 31 when William Kitching was born.
I wonder if this is a case of an ad hoc adoption by a childless couple and they gave his original birth name when they eventually baptised him age about 7
Dave

Need to find William kitching on gro to see what mothers maiden name was ie was Deborah a kitching before marrying a mitchell

Hello John et al,

I am not sure but I think there may be a connection under marriages on this site.
William Hitchin
married August 20 1843 SPC
Deborah Hatfield Calow

HAPPY HUNTING :sleuth_or_spy:

Great find Wendy. So William Hitchin(g) married Deborah Hatfield Calow 1843 and they had onlychild William in APRIL 1847 and baptised him 1854. But meantime before 1851 they decided that they would go by the name Mitchell.
Deborah is on the 1841 census over to the left (Calon)and she is in our baptisms over to the left, father Joseph, mother Mary.
Dave

Could William be William Hitching Mitchell or could William have benn up to no good so changed his name?

Hi Dave et al,
There is also a death record on this site for a Deborah Mitchell (Widow) no age given but on GRO Index the age is 68 which places her birth at 1815.
Death: May(?}1883 Burial: May 24th 1883 City Rd.Cem.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy: