Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Amelia Victorine Tonda

Hi, Can anyone help in finding anything about this lady? TONDA, Amelia Victorine (Spinster, age 34, ~, residing at Grimesthorpe).
Married John GARFITT, on November 10, 1870, by Thomas Hulme (Licence) at
St Thomas, Brightside. Father's name is Deceased (~).
Married in the presence of James Garfitt,Hannah Garfitt. I cannot find her on any census before or after the wedding, nothing on births, and no idea if they had children. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Re: Amelia Victorine Tonda

Hi Barry

Looking at the original image I read her first name as Aurelia

Heths

The marriage column in the newspaper has her as Amelia Victorine Sonder

Heths

The vicar at the marriage was Thomas Hulme. If you look at the two marriages on the previous page the same vicar married a man who was a Filesmith. That Capital F is very similar to rthe first letter of Amelia' surname so I believe her name was FONDA (or maybe FONDE or FONDER similar sounding).
Unfortunately still cannot find a trace of her.
Dave

The Sheffield Independent 15 November 1870 has her as Sonder.
But FamilySearch.org transcription from the Sheffield Daily Telegraph has the name Tonda. Which leads me to:

Sheffield Daily Telegraph
Nov 15 1870
Marriages
On the 14th inst, at Brightside Church … On the 10th, by license, Mr John Garfitt, Grimesthorpe, to Miss Amelia Victorine Tonda, of the Isle of Mauritius …

The optical character recognition was not working well. This is from a browse of the other paper.

So a bit of new information there. But it's still take your pick of the surname!

I'm wondering if the notice in the Independent was published by the parties or family.

The Telegraph item was part of a list which looked more likely to have been provided by the parish and therefore in the hand writing of a parish officer.

The original image is on FMP can someone else check this as I am not convinced that Victorine is not her middle name unless in those days they did a captial "V" like that.

There is no trace of her in any census but I think I have found John Garfitt in 1901 as a hospital attendant and it says he is a widower.

I wonder therfore did they go to mauritius after they had married and when she died perhaps over there he came back to England.

The forenames in images for both newspaper items are: Amelia Victorine

"I wonder therfore did they go to mauritius after they had married and when she died perhaps over there he came back to England."

I can't get a good match for this John Garfitt 1871, 1881, 1891 census. I suspect they left England during those decades.

If you look at the brides own signature though, her first name (to my eyes, and to those of my Belgian partner) is definitely Aurelie or Aurelia. The vicars version could be interpreted as either Aurelia or Amelia.

Heths

Thanks everone this gives me more to search. Cheers

back to the marriage, it says that bothe John and Amelia's fathers had died so was James a brother?

can James be found on the 1871 census and hence could give us clues to fining John.

yes James is his older brother but married before him and living with his family. James father died in 1856 so no joy there. thanks

Terry Stock
"I wonder therfore did they go to mauritius after they had married and when she died perhaps over there he came back to England."

I can't get a good match for this John Garfitt 1871, 1881, 1891 census. I suspect they left England during those decades.
Hi Barry,

I wonder if John Garfitt could have been in the Army and thats how he met Amelia?????

I believe I found the marriage and Johns Baptisms in our records over to the left under Parish Registers.

Elaine.

At the marriage John Garfitt was described as a Gentleman, definitely not a soldier.
I think it is significant that in the 1871 census John's mother, who remarried in 1858 to Anthonyy Atkinson, was living in Grimesthorpe. Her last child, Hannah, was born in 1856 within a month of her husband's death
I suspect that John and his bride-to-be arrived in Grimesthorpe from Mauritius just for the marriage.then returned to Mauritius
Presumably John had gone to the British Colony in late 1850s/ early 1860s and created a very successful career. I guess that would be in the sugar industry, which peaked there in the 1860s.
Dave

Thanks Dave, Do you know if there are records of Mauritius available on line?

Hi Barry,

Maybe you could start here.

https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Mauritius_Online_Genealogy_Records

Elaine.

I've tried to find John leaving for Mauritius but had no luck but perhaps I'm searching on the wrong records list. Anyone had any better luck

One more site to be looked into.

https://genealogie.mu/en/

Elaine.

John S
I've tried to find John leaving for Mauritius but had no luck but perhaps I'm searching on the wrong records list. Anyone had any better luck
The Suez Canal opened in early 1870. There was an overland route from London to Marseilles from where, every 2 weeks, there were steam packets through the canal to India via MAURITIUS. There are many newspaper articles showing that passengers booking in London to go east of Suez would get their luggage to Marseilles free of charge. This would be the fastest and cheapest way for John Garfitt and his bride.
Dave