Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
St Peter ( Sheffield Cathedral ) burials

I have found the burial entry for my GGG grandmother Jane Stevenson nee Green
1st July 1825, living on Furnace Hill and a widow.
The CD I am looking at contains burials between 1813 and 1854
i cannot see an entry for her husband John before 1825 or should I say a John Stevenson reference which could be him.
This site shows burials at St Peter between 1687 and 1736, no use to me of course re my search for John.
Is there another source of St Peter burials prior to and leading up to 1825 ?

Re: St Peter ( Sheffield Cathedral ) burials

familysearch.org has several records for John Stevenson died Sheffield 1800-1825. Some children, some mature, some aged.

Their hits are transcriptions and say you need to go to one of their family history centres, or an affiliate, or findmypast.com to see the record image.

You don't give an indication of age, but the records include a John Stevenson, 28 July 1813, age 67. This links to findmypast.com for the image.

Terry pipped me to the post. LOL

Hard to spot someone when you didn't give his DOB. When do you have a positive sighting of him... i.e childrens births etc.

Elaine.

Hello Roger

I have sent you a copy of the original register entry.
It says that Jane is the WIFE of John.

John probably died after 1925.

Anne

......... or even after 1825.

Sorry about that.

Anne

How old was Jane when she died?

Hi Terry and thanks for your reply

At the moment I have no record of John's age.
That record you quote of a John Stevenson d 28 July 1813, Is there an address ?

Hi John S. Jane was 61 when she died.

As a matter of curiosity has John been found on the 1841 census? If not it a least narrows things down a bit

Hi John S

I have looked at the 1841 Census
There are 30 John Stevenson's
As a result of now not knowing whether or not John was alive when his wife Jane died in 1825 I obviously can't be certain if he was alive in 1841
His wife's residence at her death was Furnace Hill
None of the John's recorded in the 1841 census are shown at Furnace Hill, but of course if still alive he could have moved !

Family history research at times gives one a headache ( LOL )

The marriage to Jane Green was in 1785. I checked the baptisms for two of their children and they both said John was a scissorsmith. There are a couple of possibilities for him in the apprenticeship records. Looks like your guy died before 1841. Searching the 1841 census for a John Stevenson / Stephenson in the right age range for the marriage brought up only one hit, and the trade was wrong.

Heths

Heather in Holland
The marriage to Jane Green was in 1785. I checked the baptisms for two of their children and they both said John was a scissorsmith. There are a couple of possibilities for him in the apprenticeship records. Looks like your guy died before 1841. Searching the 1841 census for a John Stevenson / Stephenson in the right age range for the marriage brought up only one hit, and the trade was wrong.

Heths
Good evening Heather !

I have the marriage date and am slowly looking through the St Peter baptisms from 1752
I say slowly, because I am amazed at the number of baptisms.
If John was baptised before 1752, then I might have to give up on this enquiry !

The burial record for Jane also says her husband was a scissorsmith, as does the newspaper announcement of her death. So he was consistently a scissorsmith from the 1880s to at least 1925. Scissorsmith is a very specific branch of the general term "cutler".
He must have been apprenticed to a scissorsmith.
The Apprentices and Freemen file has only on John Stephenson who fits the bill.
John Stephenson son of Matthew, a tailor, was apprenticed in 1876 for 7 years to Thomas South, scissorsmith. This means he was almost certainly 14 in 1876 and would complete his apprenticeship at age 21 in 1883. Before that he would not be permitted to marry. It looks like he probably carried on working for Thomas South until he purchased his freedom (a trade mark) in 1890 when he presumably branched out on his own.
Dave

Dave T
The burial record for Jane also says her husband was a scissorsmith, as does the newspaper announcement of her death. So he was consistently a scissorsmith from the 1880s to at least 1925. Scissorsmith is a very specific branch of the general term "cutler".
He must have been apprenticed to a scissorsmith.
The Apprentices and Freemen file has only on John Stephenson who fits the bill.
John Stephenson son of Matthew, a tailor, was apprenticed in 1876 for 7 years to Thomas South, scissorsmith. This means he was almost certainly 14 in 1876 and would complete his apprenticeship at age 21 in 1883. Before that he would not be permitted to marry. It looks like he probably carried on working for Thomas South until he purchased his freedom (a trade mark) in 1890 when he presumably branched out on his own.
Dave
Good evening Dave T

Amend the dates you have quoted please
We are in the 1700's and early 1800's

Roger

Hi again Dave

You say you have the newspaper announcement of Jane's death
What other information is given if there is any ?

Evening,

I have found the following baptism on Family Search

Name John Stephenson
Sex Male
Father's Name Matthew Stephenson
Father's Sex Male
Event Type Christening
Event Date 14 Mar 1762
Event Place Cathedral Church of St Peter and St Paul Sheffield, Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

This bears out with his apprenticeship age.

I also found on my old CD's SPC Burials of two children born to John a scissorsmith and buried in 1804 & 1806. Joseph & Matthew respectively.

The Cd's were from SDFHS.

I believe I also found a brother for John called Samuel who was also buried SPC in Oct 1772. The father is listed as Matthew.

More digging on FAMILY SEARCH is needed.

Elaine

Oops, sorry about all the dates. Senior moment(s). Need to check more before posting. At least they were all consistently mistyped by exactly a century.
The short newspaper announcement of Jane's death in 1825 is on FMP and British Newspapers. There is something about her and the Gospel.
Dave

Regarding the possible baptism in 1762, I couldn’t find a Sheffield burial in the 1825-41 period for a John Stevenson of that age who was a scissorsmith.

The closest matches age wise were:
9 March 1828 aged 66, filesmith of Copper St
21 May 1840 aged 77, comb maker of Arundel St

The closest match trade wise was 1 Jan 1827 age 72, cutler, Wicker. That gives a year of birth closer to 1755. There is a newspaper report for an inquest on a John Stevenson being held on that same day in Brightside Bierlow. The chap had been found drowned in the Walk-mill-dam-goit.

Heths

There is a burial at St Peter & St Paul for 72 year-old John Stevenson on 1st Jan 1827.
He is described as a cutler, and lived in the Wicker.

Could this be him?

Anne

Elaine in Ottawa
Evening,

I have found the following baptism on Family Search

Name John Stephenson
Sex Male
Father's Name Matthew Stephenson
Father's Sex Male
Event Type Christening
Event Date 14 Mar 1762
Event Place Cathedral Church of St Peter and St Paul Sheffield, Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

This bears out with his apprenticeship age.

I also found on my old CD's SPC Burials of two children born to John a scissorsmith and buried in 1804 & 1806. Joseph & Matthew respectively.

The Cd's were from SDFHS.

I believe I also found a brother for John called Samuel who was also buried SPC in Oct 1772. The father is listed as Matthew.

More digging on FAMILY SEARCH is needed.

Elaine

Hi Roger,

From our Baptisms over to the left.

STEVENSON, Joseph (of ~, born 1802-05-27).
Baptised July 25, 1802, by ~ at Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield.
Parents name(s) are Jane & John (Scissorsth).

Just a thought. I can not see Matthews (1806?) baptism.

If and I am sure John did complete his apprenticeship I have a feeling that he would always be called a scissor smith throughout his life. I have a number of scissor smiths in my tree and they died as scissor smiths. Not many burial grounds around at that time.

Does it not seem funny that we can only spot two children for him and Jane. Does that mean he died shortly after their births OR he left Jane.

Family history can be a mystery at times.

Elaine.

Roger use our Parish Records and just enter their surname (Stevenson) and parents first names.

Good afternoon and my sincere thanks to all of you that have contributed to my post !
Now sat here scratching my head.
Decisions to be made on who is who.
Fascinating as usual.

I often wonder why and have done so for the past 40 + years of family history research, that apart from known Stevenson family members, I haven't had any enquiries from Stevenson folks with roots in Sheffield and looking back through history there have been a lot of Stevenson's in this town and city.