Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
191 Marlcliffe Rd occupants, JH Jenkinson Ltd File Forgers 90 Cornish St, staff at Marcliffe School

I'm researching the occupants of 191 Marlcliffe Road, Sheffield, which was built in the 1930's, and then following those occupants back as well as forward to find their history. I would welcome any help.

I can see in the 1939 register Thos Jenkinson (Thomas Iddo Jenkinson 1877-1949) who was a widowed File Forger (machine).

In 1921 Thomas, ahead of the Marlcliffe house being built, was living just round the corner at 25 Overton Road, working as an Engineers File Forger (steel) for J H Jenkinson Ltd, File Forgers of 90 Cornish Street - can anyone find any more information about them, when they were set up, how long they were trading, etc? Were they still in existence in 1939?

Thomas and his wife Evelyn Betts had one son, Frank Wycliffe Jenkinson (1909-1970) who was a Certified Elementary School teacher. In 1939 Frank and his wife were living at 52 Cockshutts Lane, Oughtibridge (not far away from Marlcliffe Rd), but of course the Register doesn't show where he was teaching.

Frank died in 1970 and his death place is shown as 191 Marlcliffe Road so I'm assuming he took over the house after his father's death in 1949? Might he have been working in Marlcliffe Primary School, which is just opposite the house?

Any suggestions or help much welcomed.

Re: 191 Marlcliffe Rd occupants, JH Jenkinson Ltd File Forgers 90 Cornish St, staff at Marcliffe Sch

Sheffield Archives holds records for Marlcliffe Council School under ref CA888, 1903-1971.

https://www2.calmview.co.uk/SheffieldArchives/CalmView/Default.aspx?

Teachers may be named in log books. Records are closed for 75 years but there are some older ones which you should be able to view. (Click on RefNo to see the list.)

Re: 191 Marlcliffe Rd occupants, JH Jenkinson Ltd File Forgers 90 Cornish St, staff at Marcliffe Sch

From the Deaths section of the Sheffield Telegraph of Monday 3rd April 1939: "JENKINSON. - On March 31st at 191 Marlcliffe Road, Hillsborough, Evelyn, dearly beloved wife of Thomas Iddo. Interment, Tuesday 2.15p.m. City Road"

Daily Telegraph advert from December 1896: " WANTED. A Man to Forge Files under Steam Hammer. - Apply Frank Jenkinson, 42 Bromley Street, near St Stephen's Church"

The limited company J.H. Jenkinson Ltd was formed in January 1908 to take over the business of John Henry Jenkinson, his wife Sarah Ann had been running the business at Watery Lane following his death in 1904. The first directors of the limited company were Mrs S.A.Jenkinson, F.Jenkinson, F.W.Jenkinson, Mrs M.E. Steade and Mr T.I.Jenkinson (Managing Director). The registered office was at Watery Lane. The firm was still in operation at 90 Cornish Street in 1950.

Thank you very much for the information, I shall research accordingly.

It would be very interesting to discover whether Frank Jenkinson did indeed teach at Marlcliffe School - living at 191 Marlcliffe Road that would have given him the shortest commute ever.

Again, thank you for the information about J H Jenkinson Ltd - I had thought that the name match of Thomas Iddo Jenkinson and the name of the company where he worked in 1921 was purely coincidental but your information confirms that this was the family firm.

I have been creating an Ancestry Tree for Thomas's family and already had the census of 1891 with the address of Bromley Street, as well as the names of his parents.

Whilst I've already looked at newspapers, I didn't have the 1896 Telegraph advert so that's very interesting too.

Can you advise the sources of the information about the company?

It may be that the company was finally wound up at the death of Thomas Iddo Jenkinson (the T I Jenkinson named as Managing Director) in 1949.

This is all very fascinating, very many thanks again for your help and adds great background to the house, where my daughter now lives.

Hi Sue,

Do you know what Frank looked like? Picture Sheffield have several photos of the staff of Marlcliffe school, the pictures were taken in 1945 and 1964.

Heths

"Can you advise the sources of the information about the company?" - There was a mention on page 11 of the Sheffield Daily Telegraph dated 21st January 1908.

Ted
"Can you advise the sources of the information about the company?" - There was a mention on page 11 of the Sheffield Daily Telegraph dated 21st January 1908.
Thank you, yes I will look up the 1908 reference - I was thinking of your point that the company still existed in 1950?

Heather in Holland
Hi Sue,

Do you know what Frank looked like? Picture Sheffield have several photos of the staff of Marlcliffe school, the pictures were taken in 1945 and 1964.

Heths
Sadly I’ve found no photos of Frank so I can’t pick him out in the images.

I know he was an ARP warden in WWIi but that was in Oughtibridge where he was living and he doesn’t feature in the Marlcliffe School ARP Wardens photo.

There is an Ancestry Tree featuring the family but it looks like a remoter connection and there are no photos.

Thank you again for your interest!

"I was thinking of your point that the company still existed in 1950?"

The reference is from page 4 of the Sheffield Telegraph from Thursday 23rd February 1950

Thank you!! I will look up the newspaper reference.

Very appreciative of all your help and interest.