Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Woolhouse family

I'm re visiting this family to try and fill in the blanks (*) and hope someone will be able to assist.

George Woolhouse b 1881 married Florence Bell 1902 Sheffield. Father George deceased scissor forger.

* Can't find George on 1901 census but have found some Army service records which relate to him so maybe he wasn't in Sheffield.

1891 Census with mother Helen (Ellen) and step father George Kirkland Arundel St.
1881 Census father George 34 Scissor smith and mother Ellen with son Herbert Porter St

* 1891 census George Woolhouse single 43 pocket knife cutler boarder with Spooner family
* 1901 census George Woolhouse single 55 table knife cutler. Is this the correct person???

* Can't find George on 1871 census. His father was William b 1811 widowed 1850

Hope this all makes sense

Jenny

Re: Woolhouse family

Hi Jenny,

As a WOODHOUSE researchers I quite often could not make out the difference between Woolhouse and Woodhouse. Could your chap have been indexed as Woodhouse.

Elaine.

I think I might have tried that but it's a long time since I looked.

George married Florence 16 Feb 1902 (from this site) he was living at 105 Eyre Lane at the time

It liooks like George Woolhouse b 1847 was married before
1871 Census
John George Woolhouse 25 Scissor smith
Martha wife 25 (mmn Turner married 1865 to George Turner)
3 children

From GRO they had Herbert 1872 (mmn Turner).
Martha died 1876 age 30.
Dave

looking on the GRO website, George Woolhouse born 1880 Wortley RD mmn Grayson, not found a marriage of a Woolhouse to a Grayspn unless free bmd website has a transcription error.

John George Woolhouse died 1883 Sheffield age 36.
Dave

His burial is on this site. He was a scissor Smith
Dave

Dave are you sure John George woolhouse was George's father?

Dave T
It liooks like George Woolhouse b 1847 was married before
1871 Census
John George Woolhouse 25 Scissor smith
Martha wife 25 (mmn Turner married 1865 to George Turner)
3 children

From GRO they had Herbert 1872 (mmn Turner).
Martha died 1876 age 30.
Dave
Hi Dave

Thank you for putting me on the right track. I did this family before you could confirm mmn but I should have realised Herbert wasn't Ellen's son as she would only have been 16. The use of their first/middle names also confused me!!!

I have now confirmed that John George was the son of George and Mary Ann (Howe). They married in 1845 and George's father was named as George (joiner). From George's baptism (1811)I've found his mother was Sarah. Possible marriage George to Sarah SLACK 1808.

I'm now stuck with the 1841 census so if someone could have a look and see if you can find George b 1811 I would be really grateful.

Many thanks

Jenny

Senior moment then so who are the parents of George born 1881 that married Florence Bell

His father was John George b1847 who married Martha Turner then lived with Ellen Doran.
It's complicated because they dropped their first /middle names!

Hi Jenny,

Have you looked at the 1841 census index that we completed back in 2005 prior to the census going on line with Ancestry or FMP.

Elaine.

I found a George aged 25 a scissor smith at Broomhall St that I thought was a possibility. Not sure who the other people are. Was hoping to find his father George a joiner.

Hi Jenny. Good to know you are now well along the right track
Have you found Ellen Doran in 1901? She kept her maiden name.
The marriages for JOHN Charles WOOLHOUSE AND Louisa E Woolhouse are on this site and contribute to the big picture. The burial of Herbert Woolhouse was at Gen Cem, Sharrow in 1907.
Dave

So the correct George 1881 birth record is the George Edward Woolhouse registered 1882 mmn Doran.

Could Ellen have been married previously and married John George Woolhouse using her birth name.

Dave T
Hi Jenny. Good to know you are now well along the right track
Have you found Ellen Doran in 1901? She kept her maiden name.
The marriages for JOHN Charles WOOLHOUSE AND Louisa E Woolhouse are on this site and contribute to the big picture. The burial of Herbert Woolhouse was at Gen Cem, Sharrow in 1907.
Dave
Just checked those marriages Dave and I'm now looking into relationship of William/Annie Woolhouse (witnesses).

I've been trying to locate Ellen Doran in 1901 but no luck so far. Was she still in Sheffield?

Thanks for all your help. This family have driven me crazy!

John, I don't think Ellen was married previously and I don't believe she married John George either. In 1891 she lived with George Kirkland but I can't find a marriage for them !!!!!

Just an idea, I presume the census in 1891 is the one of them living on arundel street with George E Woolhouse etc.

I notice that George was born in Scotland and Helen in Ireland so could they have returned to one of those countries to get married. Dont forget the marriages on FMP and Ancestry etc only shoe England and Wales.

John

Jenny
1901 Census 507 West Derby Road, West Derby Lancs, Ellen Doran age 40, single, born DUBLIN is a housemaid. She was with the same Brassey family in
West Derby in 1911 where it says british subject by parentage.
It looks like she died Liverpool 1936 so may be worth a look for her in 1921

Dave
edit yes she is there in 1921 on Darley Drive as a servant to Emily Brassey

Just to complete the picture.
Kirkland, George (Litho.Printer, age 58).
Died at FirVale Workhouse; Buried on October 10, 1896 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 10651, Section W of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: -. Remarks: .
It is a mass grave, so clearly he was not married to Ellen and the Workhouse buried him
Dave

Thanks for the extra info. I've been working on the relationship of William to John Charles but no luck.