Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WW1 diaries need transcribing

Hi,
I have 2 partially filled pocket diaries which belonged to my grandfather.
They record part of his service in WW1
The diaries are small, the writing is in pencil and difficult to read.
Could anyone recommend where I could get these diaries transcribed into a readable form.
Thank you.

Re: WW1 diaries need transcribing

Hi Phil,

I wonder if Sheffield Archives could help with suggestions or any Local History Group. They would need access to the diaries and as I do not know where you live it could more local than Sheffield to start with.

Elaine.

Phil, try scanning a couple of pages at the highest resolution possible on your scanner. Then you can blow them up and make them easier to readon a big screen
Dave

Hi Dave,
I have tried enlarging the pages but still find it hard to read the writing and with them being written in pencil makes it more difficult.

Hi Phil

Have you tried altering the contrast? Or even looking at it as white on black, rather than black on white? That sometimes helps

Heths

Thank you .

If I were you Phil, I would scan them in the best resolution you can muster and post them on thegreatwarforum.org along with all the information you currently know on your relative..the GWF is free, but read the rules first and post it on the 'Soldiers and their unit's ' thread. The advantage of the GWFis that the experts on there may well know much in regards to regiment's and their various locations plus a knowledge of the terms and acronyms often used.
Andy

I once bought a Helix magnifying ruler from a family history fair which is useful looking at old documents. It may help.

Hi Andy I couldn't get the URL to work but found the following which I believe is OK.

https://www.greatwarforum.org/forum/1-soldiers-and-their-units/

Elaine.

Phil, if you send me one of your high resolution images I will take a look to see how it may be improved.
Dave

Hi Dave,
Thank you for the offer but it is also the style of writing that I find difficult?
I think a genealogist is needed.
Phil.

Thank you to everyone who has suggested helpful methods.