Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Burns

Can anyone help with this lady please?
Ellen Burns born circa 1894 mother Selena Brooks.
Does anyone have her in their tree.
Many Thanks

Re: Burns

There are 3 trees on Ancestry with her in. None seem to know what happened to her after 1911.

This looks as if it should be her marriage. Note the witnesses
Burns, Ellen (~, age ~, ~, residing at ~).
Married Percy Drabble, on October 21, 1912, by M. Kiernan (~) at
St Vincent's, Sheffield. Father's name is Thomas Burns (~).
Married in the presence of Mary Burns, Mary Brooks.
Notes: ~.
Page No: 412 Reg No: ~
Spouse Match or Similar Date Married Household if Available Surname Match if Available

Drabble, Percy (~, age ~, ~, residing at ~).
Married Ellen Burns, on October 21, 1912, by M. Kiernan (~) at
St Vincent's, Sheffield. Father's name is James Drabble (~).
Married in the presence of Mary Burns, Mary Brooks.
Notes: ~.
Page No: 412 Reg No: ~

Both are alive and together on 1939 Register where Ellen gives her birthday as 4 Nov 1894. Actually she was born Q4 1896. Not unusual to lie about age particularly if you are only 16 at marriage.
The family is on 1921 Census but the transcription looks suspect her age.
Dave

Correction, she was birth registered Q4 1894 mmn Brooks so she did not lie about her age.
Sorry
Dave

If you search our burial records over to the left you will discover that Ellen Drabble and her parents Thomas and Selena Burns are all together in the same Roman Catholic grave in City Road Cemetery. Also in the same grave are 2 of her Burns brothers.
Dave

Thank you Dave for replying.
On what very limited information that I have, I was led to believe that she was born in Ireland.
But I can’t find any evidence of this.

Ellen's burial is on this site along with lots of Burns clan but not Percy, Percy's burial is not listed on here but not found a death record yet either.

Judy, Ellen was definitely born in Basford, Notts in 1894, MMN Brooks (GRO Index)

Her mother Selena Burns, nee Brooks, was born in India according to both the 1901 census and the 1911 census.
Also on the 1891 Census, Selena Brookes, 15 born in India was a kitchen maid in a Catholic School in St George, Sheffield.

So there is little doubt that Ellen's mother was born in India.
Dave

From Parish Records Marriages, this site
BROOKES, Selinam (~, age ~, ~, residing at 13 Hicks Lane).
Married Thomam BURNS, on May 12, 1894, by Carolus Leteux (~) at
St Marie Parish Church, Norfolk Row,Sheffield. Father's name is Joannis Brookes (~).
Married in the presence of Jacobus Burns,Kath Ward.
Notes: [ i ].
Page No: 267 Reg No: 2
Spouse Match or Similar Date Married Household if Available Surname Match if Available

BURNS, Thomam (~, age ~, ~, residing at 11 Hicks Lane).
Married Selinam BROOKES, on May 12, 1894, by Carolus Leteux (~) at
St Marie Parish Church, Norfolk Row,Sheffield. Father's name is Jacobi Burns (~).
Married in the presence of Jacobus Burns,Kath Ward.
Notes: [ i ].
Page No: 267 Reg No: 2

The names are in Latin as they were married in the Catholic Church. Therefore, Selina's father is John Brookes. At one time, I had found a website that had very scant information about British Soldiers stationed in India in the 1800's but can't remember what it was. Perhaps someone else will know.
Helen C.

There is one on Family Search that may fit.
Celina Brooks christened Jan. 3, 1876 in Bengal, India. Father John Brooks, mother Ellen.

John S
Ellen's burial is on this site along with lots of Burns clan but not Percy, Percy's burial is not listed on here but not found a death record yet either.
More family trees at Ancestry claim this death is the target Percy:
FreeBMD
Deaths Jun quarter 1965
DRABBLE PERCY 74 Sheffield 2d 281

Thank you everyone for taking the time to offer this information, regarding Ellen.
Basford in Nottinghamshire it is then, for Ellen’s birthplace.
Interesting that her Mother actually was born in India.
All of these details regarding Ellen and her Mum is very much appreciated.
Kind Regards
Judy

There are photos of Selina and her parents in an Ancestry tree ('Byrne/Cummins family owner: John Byrne) including interesting details abou her father John.

eg
"John brooks was a soldier in the brittish army, brittish burma india, he was court-martialed whilst being drunk on duty, he said he had a vision of his father, (he told a priest that he would turn catholic if he had a sign, after vision he turned catholic)"

Hugh

Judy. The following is an abstract of a newspaper article about Ellen Drabble. You will find the full original article on FMP.She was found guilty on all 3 counts and was fined £5 on each charge

Sheffield Woman’s False Pretences at Rotherham. Three charges of obtaining articles by false pretences were preferred against Ellen Drabble, 11, Badger’s Lane, Sheffield, the Rotherham , Borough Police Court, yesterday. They were: the 17th December, obtaining.......

01 January 1924 Sheffield Daily Telegraph

Dave

Hello Hugh,
Thanks for the heads up on Selena and her parents, I’ve no idea what they may have looked like.

Uplifting (?) tale of John having been given a sign, and, converting to Catholicism.
It looks like his wedding took place in St Bridget’s church, Dublin.
I’ve now seen this record, along with his wife Ellen’s death in Dublin in 1885.

Once again, I appreciate all of this information.
Judy