Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help with occupation

I've found John J Ridge b 1863 on the 1901 census living at 41 Bramber Street but I cannot understand his occupation. It appears to be something to do with the theatre.

In 1911 he is a hand bill distributor.

I'm also unsure which theatre was referred to in 1911.

Any help appreciated as always

Jenny

Re: Help with occupation

Hi Jenny,

1901 - I read the occupation as Super Master.
Super is maybe an abbreviation for supernumerary - this can be an actor who’s basically an extra and doesn’t speak any lines.

Heths

There were three departments in a theatre, the heads of which reported to the stage manager: property-master, stage-carpenter and super-master (and in a huge theatre also a wardrobe-mistress. The super master kept a list a names and addresses of people who may be required as "extras" or "supers" on an "as-and-when" basis (ie supernumerary). They would drill these "extras" on an almost military approach.

I can't see any theatre or employer referred to in 1911, in 1901 he was at the Royal Theatre

In July 1895 he had been employed as a warehouseman at More and Gambles (he was resident at Bramber street). He brought a charge of assault (in Brunswick road)against two women who lived in Lansdowne Road, though it was dismissed.

Thanks so much for your replies it makes it much clearer.

Where was the Royal Theatre the same as the Theatre Royal as I can't seem to locate it?

The Theatre Royal burned down in the 1930s. The Crucible was later built on the same site
Dave

Thanks Dave.