Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
City Road Cemetery

A number of my wife's ancestors were buried at City Road Cemetery, between the 1890s and 1960s, and we have found the grave number on this site. A very basic question: is the grave likely to be still there, and if so, how easy is it to find a specific grave? We would like to visit it, and would appreciate any advice offered.

Re: City Road Cemetery

Hi John,

City Road Cemetery is very well looked after and the City of Sheffield Burial Grounds Office is located there.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi John

If you go in the cemetery office and quote the grave no, they will give you a plan showing the position of the grave you are looking for.

Many thanks for the replies.We went there this morning, and all went smoothly, but only led us to a piece of ground with no trace of a grave. But the search was interesting.

Not trying to be clever saying this
If a grave anyone is searching for shows no trace on the surface, then a spade is handy to take away part of the top surface and hopefully expose a stone.
On 2 occasions at City Road, i have exposed stones covered by grass etc for many years.

That thought would never have occurred to me. I am not sure I have the courage to do that!

Good evening John

Let me be clear
I am not suggesting you dig right down on a grave site
The couple of graves I found covered over in City Road were only just below the grass surface
Thinking about it, I probably used my hands to pull up some of the turf
A piece of metal rod to poke through the soil and hopefully hit some stone is another idea.

Give it a go !

Roger