Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Birtin Cemetry, Boggard Lane Oughtibridge Plot 051

This is a big ask!!! Is there anyone who is going to Birtin Cemetery who could possibly check something for me while they are there. I have a headstone picture for a William & Annie Plant and 2 sons in Plot 051. But according to very good information there are 4 other persons who died prior also in the grave. I'm wondering if there is any other details attached to the grave. Kind regards.

Re: Birtin Cemetry, Boggard Lane Oughtibridge Plot 051

Hi David,

Could you give us dates please and the names of the four you think are in the same plot thanks.

The two sons are listed in our burials the last one dated 1915. So I am presuming Wm and Annie were after that.

The index I have gives no plot numbers.

Elaine.

Hi David,

This site may help with your research.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/sites/default/files/docs/libraries-and-archives/archives-and-local-studies/local-area-history/Oughtibridge%20Community%20History%20%28PDF%29%20v1-0.pdf

Looks as if the Archives only have the registers of burials from 1840?- 1920 ***

Digging back to an earlier thread the registers may still be at the church.

Church of the Ascension was given the name in 1974 prior to that it was a chapel of Ease to Wadsley Church.

Elaine.

Looking at S&DFHS Booklet it states the burials go from 1843-1961 and are available with the LDS.... Family Search.

Malcolm Nunn wrote this in 2016:

=====================
"Birtin Cemertery is owned and maintained and staffed by Bradfield Parish Council and does not have any connection with Sheffield City Council.

It opened in 1906 when the Oughtibridge Church of Ascension graveyard was full and in the mid 1960s a further section was added at Birtin when the Walls of Remembrance were constructed, these being for ashes of loved ones.

The records for Birtin Cemetery are held on a database in Bradfield Parish Council Offices and any enquiries etc. should be addressed to them on e-mail: admin@bradfield-yorks-pc.gov.uk or telephone 0114-2851375 between 9am and 3pm"

=====================

I think the records you are looking at, Elaine, are in the SDFHS transcription of the churchyard, which is not on this site. Those children are sons of Arthur & Annie Eliza PLANT.

There are records for William and Annie, and a photo of the 051 gravestone at https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/233590156/william_plant

FindAGrave also shows William's parents, Samuel and Annie (Ibbotson) PLANT as buried in the same plot.

Hugh

Re grave 051 at Birtin Cemetery
Details of the following people who are interred in this grave are as follows:

Samuel Plant - age 7 - of Four Acres, Oughtibridge - 27/12/1906
Doris Plant - age 3 - of Gate Cottages, Oughtibridge - 04/04/1913
Ronald William Plant - age 3 - of Wood Farm, Stannington - 20/12/1904
Roy Plant - age 7 weeks - of Wood Farm, Stannington - 06/02/1926
Samuel Plant - age 77 - of Church Street, Oughtibridge - 22/03/1937
Annie Plant - age 79 - of 16 Crag View Crescent, Oughtibridge - 28/04/1943
Annie Plant - age 86 - died in Northern General Hospital - 03/03/1979 _ Cremated Remains

Hope this is the information you are looking for

Regards - Malcolm Nunn

Hi All

Sorry for my late reply....Thank you for confirming all names in plot 051. I noted the uploaded photo to find a grave for William & Annie Plant and there children seems to be in the centre of the grave. What I was trying to confirm if there is another headstone on the grave for William's parents Samuel & Annie (Ibbotson) Plant. Regards

Hi David...... Dates might help But doesn't the reply from Malcolm answer your question.

Elaine.

The image at:
https://images.findagrave.com/photos/2021/297/UNCEM_2204705_ceea49c0-88db-454f-a829-c902283f1934.jpeg?v=1635748698
Refers to:
William dearly loved husband of Annie Plant __ March 1974
Annie 23rd January 1979
Their Two Sons
Ronald William 1924 2 years
Roy 1926 Aged 7 weeks

I have re-checked records and find that William's ashes were interred in the same grave in 1974 and also the person who I said was interred in 1904 should read 1924
Regards - Malcolm Nunn

Hi Malcolm. Many thanks for update. Do you have anything on who purchased the plot. Am I right in thinking there would have been only 2 normal burials allowed in the plot Regards.

The Grave was purchased by Samuel Plant of Four Acres, Oughtibridge

Regards - Malcolm Nunn

Thanks Malcolm.

Can know confirm ( and have photos) that the rest of the above Plant families names are transcribed on the side of the graves plinth.