Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Transcription Error

I was just looking up my Turner family on the Parish records on this site and realised that my Great Grandfather's baptism, along with his sisters were partly transcriped wrong. The Father should be Hevers(Evers, Evis on different censuses) not Henry. I have my Great Grandfather's Birth Certificate which clearly says Hevers for his father. I can send a copy of the certificate to whoever needs to check it. If anyone is interested in how he got his unusual first name it is a variation of his Grandma's surname Evers.
Here are the family
Turner, Bety (of 40 Garden St, born 1873-09-01).
Baptised September 1, 1880, by J.W. Talbot at St Luke, Hollis Croft.
Parents name(s) are Betsy & Henry (Spring Knife Cutler).

*Turner, Charles (of 40 Garden St, born 1871-05-26).

Turner, Martha (of 40 Garden St, born 1878-07-03).

Turner, Mary Ann (of 40 Garden St, born 1876-12-07).

Re: Transcription Error

All four baptisms are on the same original image which is on FMP, There is no doubt that the father name in all four cases is HEAVERS

Hi Lois,

I have just checked with FMP as I no longer have the fiche which I used to transcribe this entry.

The Original has the fathers name as "Heavers" which I will use instead of Henry.

Thanks for letting us know.

Elaine.

Elaine in Ottawa
Hi Lois,

I have just checked with FMP as I no longer have the fiche which I used to transcribe this entry.

The Original has the fathers name as "Heavers" which I will use instead of Henry.

Thanks for letting us know.

Elaine.
Thanks Dave and Elaine,
I have never known the correct spelling of his name as on his son certificate it is Hevers without the a but in censuses you get Heavers, Evers,Evis and even Heaven!
I was just saying to my partner I should write a book about his son Charles Turner, my G grandad, as he was not only a decent painter but Captain of Hallamshire Harriers in the early 1900s and travelled to America regularly to sell his penknives

Hi Lois,

Glad we were able to set it straight.

Elaine.