Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Flint Family

Starting again as I have asked for previous post to be deleted.

I think I have solved the problem on Grace, different family but connected further back.

What is puzzling me though is that the parents of Kenneth Flint born 1927 were James William Flint and Alice maud Clews that wed in 1912.

Im sure james was born illegit, baptism on this site but when he married he stated that his father was called Albert Jennings.. would that be because Albert was his father but since born prioer to marriage he took the surname Flint. Grace, his mother, did not marry Albert.

Grace's parents i now believ thatnks to Elaine are Daniel and Jemima Linley, daniel was the brother of Charles that married Esther Stanfield and they also had a daughter Grace hence the confusion.

Hope that makes sense.

John

Re: Flint Family

John,

If you look at our transcribed Parish Registers baptisms enter James William Flint
I think part of your mystery can be sorted from there. Christ Church Heeley seems to be their ecclesiastical parish.

I will leave the other thread as it may come in useful at a later date.Sorry about my miss information I was trying to find Grace on a census prior and after her marriage and didn't change her surname to go back.

It happens.LOL.

Elaine.

John
Even more confusion:
1881 Census has Daniel Flint and wife Jemima with son Albert Charles (17) and daughter Grace (5).
GRO has births for both of them, mmn Lin(d)ley
FLINT, ALBERT CHARLES LINDLEY
GRO Reference: 1863 S Quarter in ECCLESALL BIERLOW Volume 09C Page 216
FLINT, GRACE LINLEY
GRO Reference: 1875 S Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 433.

Also on FMP there is a baptism for Grace Flint, father Daniel, mother Jemima, in March 1876.

So the correct Grace Flint was born in 1875 and she had James William illegitimate when she was only 16. Then when she marries 3 years later she declared she was 4 years older than she was, and she kept up that pretence in later censuses.

Clearly James William had been told his biological father was called Albert Jennings. In 1891 there is only one Albert Jennings in Sheffield, Age 19 and living in Rockingham Street very close to Leicester Street from where James William was baptised just a few days before the census.
Dave

Thanks Dave, Daniel married Jemima in 1862 so the Chales born 1864 fits ok.

Thanks for comfirming the Albert Jennings saga, I at first was going to take that with a pich of salt thinking the vicar had put that name on the wrong certificate, I also then wondered could he have died say in 1890/1891 before perhaps they were due to tie the knot.

Would in those days Albert be still accountable for paying towards his keep and hence thats why he was named on the marriage cert. I have found no trace of that as of yet.

The question is then also is why when Grace married Arthur Rotherham in 1894 did she not name her father, surely she would have known but I am sure the death of Daniel in 1890 in Biggleswade is the correct one so did something serious happen, was Daniel upto no good ie did he run off with another woman and hence Jemima wanted nothing to do with him anymore. Gosh this genealogy stuff certainly keeps the brain cells charged especially for us oldies.

Think the Biggleswade death is wrong, there is a death in 1883 of a daniel Flint aged 40, (people have no idea really of ages have they) and there is a burial on this site saying he died in the canal but was a Horn Setter, what is that please? The daniel I am interested in was a file -------- are these trades similar ie could this be the Daniel I am interested in?

John, you have FMP, the answers to all your questions about Daniel Flint are there. It is not difficult.

Grace was only 16 when she gave birth. Therefore the authorities would not get involved. The financial responsibility lay with her parents (in this case her mother). If Albert Jennings denied it (clearly he did) then nothing could be done to make him pay..
Dave