Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Walter Bennett 1902 to 1986 Footballer

Hi
My name is Andrew and together with some fellow Chelsea FC supporters we are researching and recording the final resting places of all ex-players and officials. Over the last 4 years, we've found 282 players leaving just 65 to go.

One such player is Walter Bennett born 27 Feb 1902 Tinsley, Sheffield and he died 28 Sep 1986 Portland/Weymouth.

He signed for Chelsea from Tinsley WMC back in 1922. We have searched thoroughly Dorset records but no luck.

His family with father Henry Jeremiah Bennett and Mary Bennett lived most of their lives in Tinsley.

We are wondering if Walter might have been buried in Tinsley Park Cemetery.

Sheffield Council pointed us in the direction of your website 'Sheffield Indexers'. I've had a look but can't see any records for the cemetery. Do you have any records or suggestions as to who we might contact?

We'd be very grateful for any help you could give us

kind regards

Andrew
Chelsea Graves Society

Re: Walter Bennett 1902 to 1986 Footballer

Firstly good luck with your research.

I have some records for Tisley Park but they do not go up to 1986.

Just a query though is that are you sure his death date is correct because according to a website I use his death was not registered until November of that year.

Have you tried contacting Weymouth library etc as I was wondering would there be an obituary in a local paper

Hi
Thanks for the reply, we took the death date from a probate record for Walter Bennett and death register. Matching the area in both documents. We haven't been able to find any newspaper articles from that time, unfortunately.
We've tried all the Dorset Councils and Crematoriums in the area and also had a newspaper article run asking for any local knowledge but there were no replies.

Do your records for Tinsley show details of a burial for his father Henry Jeremiah died Q4 1954.

We don't have a dod for his mother Mary. All we know is that its between 1921 and 1939.

For Walter it was quite a move from Tinsley WMC to Chelsea back in 1922. He was the Nephew of Cocky Bennett, former Sheffield Utd forward as well.

many thanks
Andrew

Hi Andrew

Henry Jeremiah Bennett was buried at Tinsley on 5th October 1954, aged 88, from 82 Ranskill Rd.

Heths

Walter married in Weymouth to Elsie Alexandra Callaby in 1927. (she was birth registered as Alexandra Elsie)
In 1939 they were living in Weymouth.
Elsie lived to the ripe old age of 98. She died in South Dorset in Q3 1999.
I believe they had at least 2 children (daughters).

In 1939 Walter and Elsie were living in Weymouth and with them was Elsie's mother Rosa Callaby who died in Dorchester in 1943.
It may be worth trying to find Elsie's burial place. Presumably she buried her husband then followed him into the same grave 21 years later (or perhaps they were cremated)

Dave

This looks likely for Mary Bennett death.

Deaths Mar 1935 (>99%)
Bennett Mary 63 Rotherham 9c 843

Dave

Oops, isee from your website that you already have the info about his wife

Dave if walter did in 1986 and his wife in 1999 then that's only 13 years different.where do you get 21 from

Thank you all for the replies, good to know his father is buried in Tinsley and hi smothers possible death.
Any idea's where the records would be for burials at Tinsley from 1986?
I wonder how he moved from Tinsley WMC to Chelsea. Maybe we'll never know

Birmingham gave Walter a trial in their reserve team in February 1922 (Athletic News 20.2.22).
From Sheffield Daily Telegraph 15th March 1922:
"Sheffield Junior for Chelsea" Tinsley W.M.C. have transferred their burly centre half-back to Chelsea. Bennett, who is a nephew of the one-time famous Sheffield United forward, the late 'Cocky" Bennett, is only 19 years of age, but stands about 5ft. 10in., and weighs about 12st. 6lbs."
In 1922 Tinsley were having a successful run in the Association League, having played 17 matches without defeat (13 wins, 4 draws). Bennett was latest of a string of transfers: Chappell to Rotherham County, Talbot to Gainsborough Trinity and Wingfield to Birmingham.

Andrew, the below quote is from a message on this forum by Angela in 2023

"Tinsley Park has a Facebook page.
A number of volunteers clean up the cemetery, they should be able to help you."
Dave

Andrew
Thank you all for the replies, good to know his father is buried in Tinsley and hi smothers possible death.
Any idea's where the records would be for burials at Tinsley from 1986?
I wonder how he moved from Tinsley WMC to Chelsea. Maybe we'll never know

Hi Andrew,

Tinsley Park Cemetery is administered by Sheffield Council.

All their registers should have been deposited with Sheffield Archives.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Elaine, Tinsley Park Cemetery is different to Tinsley Cemetery which is situated on Bawtry Road I think.

Which cemetery are we talking about where Henry J Bennett is buried.

John

I have no idea John. Not my thread.

Elaine.

PS..... This is the one I was quoting.....Address: Barleywood Rd, Sheffield S9 5FJ,

Hi John,

Ref the burial, the heading on the form says "Burial in the Parish of Tinsley in the Diocese of Sheffield.." and it says the ceremony was performed by C.W. Tabor. If it helps you to identify which cemetery in Tinsley, it's Sheffield Archives reference PR-144-4-6

Heths

Hi Guys,

On a current map of Sheffield there is only one Cemetery listed for Tinsley and that's the Tinsley Park one I gave the address for.

I can't see one on Bawtry Road.... that John suggested.

Elaine.

I think John must mean St. Lawrence churchyard, which is just off Bawtry Road, on Church Lane.

Hi Sally,

That nudged me to look at St Lawrence. From the S&DFHS Booklet on Churches in the Sheffield area.

A Chapelry of Tinsley in the Parish of Rotherham.and became a separate parish in 1718. Burials from 1813-1967.and they were transcribed by S&DFHS from 1813-1901.
Probably for the NBI.

Elaine.

Hi Heather, Sally & John,

I have the material for us to transcribe at a later date for St Lawrence and C.W. Tabor is a minister there.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Think the best bet might be for Andrew to contact St Lawrence Church, explain to them what he is doing and he knows his father is buried in the churchyard so would they see if Walter is there too.

The some records for Tinsley Parish are on FMP covering 1915 to 1966 inclusive.
As well as Henry Jeremiah (1954), his wife Mary Bennett is also buried there on Aug 30 1935 Age 63. Her home address was "Hillcrest", Hellaby, nr Maltby, Yorkshire.

Hi everyone
Thank you all for all your help, I've been at work the last couple of days but have been following the thread. I'll make contact with St Lawrence tomorrow.
I'll let you know how I get on.

kind regards
Andrew