Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
John Leather, ‘Plan of Sheffield in 1823’

I found a pdf copy of this map on your site and wondered who owned the original. If possible, I'd like to reproduce a section of it for a forthcoming book (non-commercial, open access, published by Oxford University Press) but I'd need permission from the document owner first. Thanks

Re: John Leather, ‘Plan of Sheffield in 1823’

Hi Hannah,

Don't think I can help much as those Maps have been on our site for 15-20 years.

I have a feeling that we were given permission from Eric Youle to use that one and he has passed on.

The 1832 one I had permission from Jeremy Atherton. I think he was based in the States.

How about asking Sheffield Archives if they know anymore.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Hannah,

see here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sheffield_1823_plan.jpg

It says that this work is in the public domain in its country of origin and other countries and areas where the copyright term is the author's life plus 70 years or fewer.

Thanks Ted that's perfect - an open source, Creative Commons version was what I tried (and failed) to find myself. :)

Hi there

I have a very old 1832 map of the 'Town of Sheffield and its Environs' protected behind glass in a wooden frame. It looks like a print by J. Tayler of The Strand. London. It Looks like an original print on old paper. The colour of the aged background is cream and the printing ink is a light brown, maybe aged over time from an original darker shade. It is quite a large map. The paper is somewhat cockled maybe due to damp conditions before I got it, but it is undamaged otherwise.

Is this the original (print?) you mention?

Hi Again

I know I put 1832 and you specified 1823, but I was quoting from memory of the date on mine as I an not at home. So thought I'd mention that in case I'm remembering the date transposed. I don't know if there is an 1823 map AND an 1832 map. I'm going to investigate the ones on here now to see which one is the same as mine.

This is the link to PictureSheffield

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y09447&pos=13&action=zoom&id=63784

The original is in the Local Studies Library

Hugh

Hi again

Mine is definitely 1832, I've seen it now, although I cannot liken it well enough to the small black and white section of the Sheffield centre section of an 1832 Sheffield map that I have on my hard drive which I downloaded some years ago. As that one is not sharp enough. But I suspect it is just a small section of mine and a photocopy that has been scanned in on a low resolution.

Does anyone know if the original prints of such old maps went brown over time? If so I think mine might be an original print. It looks extremely old and has benefited from being ptotected for some time behind glass.