Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
George William Hudson 1886 in Coldstream Guards

Dear All,

I found from FMP that the above person joined the Coldstream Guards in 1908 father John Hudson was deceased by this time and his mother was called Kezia.

FMP do not seem to have his records for him in the Coldstream guards but I think Ancestry do. I was wondering if some kind person could see if they could trace him and let me know when he was either dischardged or killed etc

Cheers

John

PS I have had my 14 day trial hence I cant look him up.

Re: George William Hudson 1886 in Coldstream Guards

John, now you Re registered with Ancestry you can search their indexes to see if he is there.
Dave

Cheers dave.. I didn't think you could do that within a certain time frame so I shall have a go

Is this not your man on FMP? (93 Jericho street) Pages and pages:

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO96%2F0306%2F355%2F001&parentid=GBM%2FWO96%2F306%2F1218070

Ted, yes that is my man but it was this article that said he joined the Coldstream Guards but I could not find the papers for the Cioldstream Guards unless I need to go to the opticians

On page 3 of these records it states that George joined the Coldstream Guards on 21.01.08.

His number in the Coldstream Guards was 7361. His medal card is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/h0h2viozzkf1qgopswymm/GW-Hudson-7631.png?rlkey=oj4gxxntsf1yeg7724nm36vcq&dl=0

It shows his award of the 1914 Star was made just prior to the start of WW1. He also seems to have been taken prisoner though the Red Cross records are very short of detail.

Sorry, not been able to see any service records for his Coldstream Guard service.

Here's his record for his first stint in the army in 1904 when he was still in the militia):

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo97%2f5174%2f060%2f004&parentid=gbm%2fwo97%2f5174%2f869791

Oddly in 1911 he was living at home in Hoyle street working as a steelworks labourer?

Hi folks,

Just a reminder.......

Be very careful how you give information from such as FMP & Ancestry.

If you re type the information and then give the source name I was told many moons ago that was acceptable.

So in John's case we know he has FMP just steer him to where he can find it.
Sorry John not picking on you just making sure we have no problems.

Elaine.

Hi Ted,

Maybe he’d been transferred to the reserves? That could explain why he was home in 1911. (My great-grandpa was also in the Coldstream Guards. They transferred him to the reserves after 3 years service and discharged him 6 years later.)

Heths

John and Ted

"It shows his award of the 1914 Star was made just prior to the start of WW1. He also seems to have been taken prisoner though the Red Cross records are very short of detail."

George QUALIFIED for the 1914 Star because he arrived in France in August 1914. He was AWARDED the Star in 1922.

The Red Cross records for PoWs are replete with details if you are willing to think laterally.
George was in a list of 171 "ENGLANDER" PoWs who were incarcerated at the Neuhammer am Queis camp in South West Poland (between Dresden and Wroclaw).
For each man there is Name, Rank, Regiment (sometimes Battalion), Home town and where captured. For George he was Private, 1st Batt Coldstream Guards, home Rawmarsh and captured at Ypres.
In the list there are 34 (incl George) who were Coldstream Guards (and always 1st Batt if mentioned) and all were captured at Ypres. I have found that at least 6 of of those 34 have their Army records available on FMP. In each of those 6 cases the man was listed as missing on 29th October 1914. Also in each of those 6 cases the man was repatriated at end December 1918 (in one case it mentions through Dover).
A quick Google reveals:
"Then, in August 1914, three Coldstream Battalions were deployed to France, and saw action at Mons, the Marne, and the Aisne before being committed to the defence of Ypres where the 1st Battalion almost ceased to exist at the Battle of Gheluvelt."

So George was captured on 29th Oct 1914 at Gheluvelt and spent the next 4 years in PoW camp Neuhammer am Queis in Poland. He was repatriated at the end of Dec 1918

John, you can find more details of the Battle of Gheluvelt on line. Also on CWGC you should be able to find how many Coldstream Guards died on 29th Oct 1914.

You know Georges parents so it is very simple to find his birth date and from there his 1939 Register entry, his marriage and his death.

Dave

Dave,

What a fantastic find thank you.

Permission please to copy and save this info as a document.

John

PS just wondering why it says home town of Rawmarsh when he was born in Sheffield, wonder if he was told to lie or was he living at Rawmarsh when he enlisted.

You can be born in one place and later live in another

"FMP do not seem to have his records for him in the Coldstream guards but I think Ancestry do."

Ancestry has two relevant records, but with Reg No 7631. One as Wm Hudson and the other as William Hudson. But have Rawmarsh as residence.

These are transcriptions, the images are at "Fold3".

Many libraries have free access to Ancestry's records.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D2990100 has the medal card for George W Hudson 7631. The same as in Ted's message.

Nothing new here, but note the correct service number.

John

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/214062-schneidemuhl-prison-camp/

This fascinating and very detailed memorial adds interesting detail to what happened to George immediately after capture. It seems they first went to Schneidemuhl camp in north west Poland where 8 wounded Coldstreamers died. The survivors then moved to Neuhammer am Queis in mid 1916.

Dave

Thank you for more info on the above, what is FOLD3 and do you need ancetry to access it?

John