Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Error on Burials Index - Frank Timm- Walkley Cemetery

I visited Walkley Cemetery, Nicholls Rd recently and saw the headstone (grave 286, section E) of members of the Timm family all in the same grave, but the Index shows a different record for FRANK TIMM:

TIMM, Emily May (~, age 72).
Died at 25 Meadow View Rd; Buried on November 29, 1962 in ~ ground;

DILLON, IVY (~, age 57).
Died at 54 Sellers St Sheffield; Buried on November 13, 1974 in ~ ground;

TIMM, Doris (~, age 5 months).
Died at 85 Greaves St; Buried on June 2, 1915 in ~ ground;

TIMM, Frank (~, age 78)
Died at 25 Meadon View Rd; Buried on June 30, 1969 in ~ ground;

This Frank was born in 1890 and was married To Emily May, referred to above, and is the son of Frank in the grave BUT IS NOT IN THE GRAVE.

A separate record exists showing only one Timm member in Grave 29. I think this could be the record for grave 286 - E instead as this Frank was born 1867, making him 80.

TIMM, Frank (~, age 80).
Died at 187 Providence Rd; Buried on March 23, 1948 in ~ ground;
Grave Number 29, Section D

I have a photo of the headstone if you wish to see. Hope I've not overcomplicated it - it's just swapping those two records.

Re: Error on Burials Index - Frank Timm- Walkley Cemetery

Hello Julie,

As you say, the Frank on the E286 gravestone is listed in our (the Friends') database as buried in D29. That is not *necessarily* a mistake - sometimes people are commemorated on a grave other than the one where they are buried.

However, when I look at the details of the only other burial which took place on that day in 1948, I do suspect a mix-up by the transcriber...

HOWARTH Annie Eliza 23 Mar 1948 56 Dodd Street 85y grave D286
TIMM Frank 23 Mar 1948 187 Providence Road 80y grave D29

Annie HOWARTH is listed on a gravetone which is on plot E29. So it seems likely that the transcription has the entries swapped and the section mistakenly as D in both entries.

I don't think the information here can be changed until the register has been checked, which I will do when I get the chance.

If confirmed, this would solve a mystery for me - why Frank Timm would be buried in D29 which is a War Grave (for Arthur HANSON)?

The provisional conclusion I come to is that both Franks are buried in E286 but Frank who died in 1969 was not recorded on the stone. I remember when I cleared the stone last year I uncovered enough of the kerbstones to judge that there was no lettering on them, but I didn't clear them completely. Perhaps I should go back to that - a project for another day.

Hugh

Hi Hugh

Thank you very much for your quick reply and explanation.Yes, sounds like your conclusions are likely.

Julie

Hi Hugh,

I wont change anything in the database until you have checked it out.

Please let me know your findings.

Elaine in Ottawa.