Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hudson line 2nd opinion please

John Henry Hudson born in 1859 the son of William Hudson and Ann Woodward.

William Hudson married Ann Woodward on 3rd November 1856 and it states the father of William was John Hudson a Table Blade Maker

looking on this site I have found a possible baptism of william Hudson 6th July 1833 parents John and Sarah.

looking on the 1841 census I think I have found the family and it gives John and sarah age as born in 1810 but ages were rounded up or down etc I know,

I have found a marriage at Handsworth on 30 May 1827 of a John Hudson to a sarah Jubb.

What I would like to know is do others think I am on the right track or do others have a different oppinion of where I might have gone wrong.

Regards

John

Re: Hudson line 2nd opinion please

Hi John, The GRO shows his mother as a Woodward. There is a marriage on this site of William Hudson to Ann Woodward at St Philips Shalesmoor.

The groom's entry is under Hudston, not Hudson. Correction needed?

Sally which groom please and entry...

Barry's hint about the marriage at St Phillips. Cannot find it under Hudson. Found it via Ann Woodward's entry.

Search under Hudston, this is the only entry retrieved, but father's name is Hudson, so I think there is a typo.

Just need to know now if you think I have got the correct baptism for William

John - Sorry, I cannot give a definite opinion on that, though it seems likely.

Elaine - There appears to be a typo in the marriage index as described above. I have now checked this in FreeBMD. (Hudston was a frequent surname in the Nottingham and Shardlow districts but the first entry in the Sheffield area was in 1928.)

Sally

Hi Elaine

I've checked the original and it is HUDSON

Denise

Hi Denise,

Just saw the thread. I see you have changed it to Hudson in the database. Thanks.

Elaine.

Correction.....

I have just changed it John. The marriage is now correct.(Hudson)

Dungworth is very close to Bradfield. So under the Wortley district.

Elaine in a Snowy Ottawa.

Hi John

Have you seen in the 1861 census that John Henry is in the same household as a Woodward? So yes, I think you have the right baptism, and the correct marriage for his parents.

Number 2, 8 Court Shepherd St, Sheffield:
The head away on the night of the seventh
Ruth Woodward, niece, unmarried, 18, domestic servant born Sheffield
George Grant, nephew, unmarried, 17, bricklayer born Derbyshire Bakewell
Ellen Grant, niece, 10, born Yorkshire Wadsley Bridge
John H Hudson, cousin, 1, born Yorkshire Sheffield

Heths

Thanks Heather. But do you think I've the correct marriage for William Hudson born 1833 parents ie John Hudson and Sarah jubb?

John,
There is a baptism in Handsworth in 1831 of a Marianne Hudson, father John, a FARMER, and mother Sarah. I believe that is John Hudson and Sarah Jubb.
This is more likely to be your correct marriage:
John Hudson to Sarah Harrison Sheffield 16th Feb 1833. That would make Sarah 4 months pregnant with William.

Note that on the 1841 census both John and Sarah were recorded as age 31. That means that their ages were NOT rounded by the enumerator. (Rounding was not universal . IF rounding was done then it was always down and always to a last digit 0 or 5)
Dave

Thanks Dave, I have found that marriage now and it is probably the correct one, need to see if I can now find more children of the marriage to John and sarah to see if they are with relatives which will prove if we are correct.ie Harrison.

must recheck 1841 census because if William is first it is even more of a good match.

off to work now so will check later

Dave,

I think the census of 1841 I found showing John Hudson and Sarah is wrong, the last person on the census is a Joseph Hudson aged 1. looking on the census it says the maiden name of the mother is Pinder but as yet I have not found a marriage of a John Hudson to a Sarah Pinder.

I did though find a William Hudson (1833) living with the harrison family in 1841 and The Howe family in 1851 ( a Harrison married a Howe by the looks of it) and in 1861 that William Hudson is with Ann and a daughter Sarah A aged 3. William was born in the Crosspool area.

I therefore wonder if both his parents had died hence the reason he wa with relatives.

Do you think now I am on the correct track? Need to find another John and Sarah Hudson on the 1841 census or burial index.