Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bennett / Moor / Emerson family

Hello,
I am researching the Bennett family from Pitsmoor and have hit a block. Does anyone have any knowledge of Vera Bennett born early 1900’s I think on Woodside Lane. Vera went onto marry Arthur Moor.. any further information would be very much appreciated.
Thank you
Vera had an older sister Alice who worked at Davy’s in the cafe.
Thanks

Re: Bennett / Moor / Emerson family

Hi Debra,

Looks like you are just starting your family history.

If you go to the FreeBMD web site....... https://www.freebmd.org.uk/

and look for Vera's birth & marriage there that will give you a starting point.

Sheffield by the way was Vol 9c at that time.

Once you have that information you need to look at the 1911 census information.

Family Search is a good free site for you to do that search.

Check out our Parish Records over to the left and we may have transcribed the church where she was baptised or married.

If you need further help we are always here.

Elaine in Ottawa.

According to Free BMD there is no marriage between an Arthur Moor and a Vera Bennett in The whole of England and Wales between 1837 and 1990.
On 1939 Register there is an Arthur Moor b 1913 with a Vera Moor b 8th April 1916 in Rotherham. Their marriage was 1837, Arthur Moor to Vera Chapman.
There is a birth in 1955 of a Peter Moor with mmn Bennett.
DAVE

Vera Bennett, baptised 7 October 1908 at Christ Church, Heeley, Sheffield.
Parents, Joseph and Harriet of 36 Gregory Road, Sheffield.

In 1911, the family are living at 48 Sherrington Rd, Sheffield. (Sharrow Ward).

Found the family too on the 1911 census but there was no older sister called Alice.

I think we need the definite article on who Mr Robinson knows is 100% and thenstart working back because I think at the moment it looks like we could be going down the wrong path.

I am so grateful for all your help - this is really like looking for a needle in a haystack. The factual info I have so far is:
Peter Moore Bennett b:1847
Married
Florence Ellen Bennett b:1857
Children:
Charlotte Anne Gould b:1886 ??? Surname unknown
John Bennett b:1882
William Bennett b:1884
Lucy Bennett b: 1887
Joseph Bennett b: 1894
Alice Bennett b: 1898 / 99 gave birth to Lilian Bennett b: 1918 (my grandmother). Father not disclosed on birth certificate.

Vera Moor b:1916 married Arthur Moor b: 1913. Vera has a link into the above family but unable to establish how? Possibility of being sister of Florence Ellen ??? But unable to confirm this. My reason for exploring this is that it may be possible that 1 of Vera’s sons may be Lilian’s father..
Any help would be hugely appreciated.
Kind regards -

Problem solved.
I already identified Arthur and Vera in an earlier message both on 1939 census and their marriage in 1937.
She was Vera Chapman born 1916, he was Arthur Moor b 1913
The family link is Vera Chapman's mother who was a BENNETT. (Gro index)
DAVE

Hi Dave,
Thank you for your prompt response. It’s good to know I am heading in the right direction. Did you find which Bennett Vera was linked to please and would I find any children born to Arthur & Vera on the census (sorry novice at this)
Thanks again

On the 1939 register it is just Arthur and Vera. On Free BMD if you search Births 1939 to 1970 surname Moor, spouse surname Chapman you will find 2 likely children for them. I cannot name them here because it is likely they are still alive.
In theory Vera should be on the 1921 census with her parents, but the family seems to be missing. Also the marriage cert of Arthur to Vera in 1937 does not seem to be available on line. The simplest and cheapest way to find her parents full names would be to buy Vera's birth record on line from GROIndex. Digital copy is available cost £2.50 and immediately available.
Dave

Debra, you need to familiarise yourself with Free BMD and GRO Index. Both are free to use online. GRO index is particularly useful for establishing brothers and sisters because it includes mother maiden name (mmn). You have to register but there is no fee.
It looks like Vera Chapman's parents were Charles Chapman and his wife Mary Ellen nee Bennett. They married in 1898 and had about 7 children.
Mary Ellen was born in 1877, the daughter of Peter Bennett and his wife Florence Ellen nee Graham, who married in 1875 in Pitsmoor. You do not seem to be aware of her birth.
Dave

Dave, yes I agree Mary Ellen using GRO but not found in 1881 census, the only one I found had a father Samuel.

John

I have been struggling to find the Bennett family in the 1881 census, now I find the index and transcript in Findmypast has:
Samuel and Florance (sic) with children Charlotte (5) and Mary E (3)
Charlotte's birth has mmn Graham, so it appears to be the correct family.
"Samuel" was born in Chesterfield, "Florance" in Manchester. (No marriage for these names indexed.)
Also visitors who may be related.

Sally

Debra
You said " My reason for exploring this is that it may be possible that 1 of Vera’s sons may be Lilian’s father.."

Vera was 2 years old when Lillian was born. They were cousins
Dave

PS Great find Sally. Definitely the right family.

...continued

Charlotte Bennett was actually Charlotte Annie, mmn Graham

She married John Gould or Joseph Middleton MarQ 1894 - my money is on John Gould.

Who was Charlotte Anne Gould?
She seems to be also Charlotte Annie, Gould mmn Newham, born Rotherham 9c p630 DecQ 1887
Records suggest her parents died in 1898 and 1900.
Parents probably: Gould, William Joseph who married Newham, Annie Sheffield 9c 660 SepQ 1885
but she was apparently their only child, in the GRO index.
Death: Gould, Annie age 34 Ecclesall Bierlow 9c 241 Mar 1898
Birth: Newham, Annie Ecclesall Bierlow 9c 288 JunQ 1864 mmn Shipman
Death: Gould, William Joseph age 48 Sheffield 9c 295 DecQ 1900
Birth: Gould, William Joseph Rotherham 9c 349 MarQ 1852
BUT this birth is not in the GRO index, so no mmn found - yet. I've reported a query.

Sally

Debra, there is a lot of info about your family members in some of our databases over to the left.
In the BURIALS database you will find the burial of Peter M Bennett. In the same grave are his wife, his parents (Samuel and Charlotte), his unmarried brother (Samuel) and his married sister (Priscilla).
You can also find there the grave of Charles Chapman with his wife Mary Ellen . In the same grave is your g grandmother Alice Emmerson nee Bennett.

If you search in the SCHOOLS RECORDS over to the left you will find entries for Thomas, Charles, Harry and Clara Chapman, all children of Mary Ellen Chapman nee Bennett.

Charles Chapman senior died in 1916 just a month before his daughter Vera was born. His wife and children moved in with Mary Ellen's parents Peter and Florence as shown in the 1921 census.
(The reason I could not find Vera in the 1921 census is because FMP has transcribed her as Veda).
Having now found the record it shows that there are 10 people in the household in Woodside Lane.
They are Head Peter Moore Bennett (1847), his wife Florence Ellen (1857), their son John E (1882), their daughter Alice (1898) and illegitimate granddaughter Lillian (1918).
The other 5 are Peters daughter Mary Ellen Chapman and her Chapman children Thomas(1899), Clara (1905).Harry (1911) and Vera (1916).

Dave

I cannot thank you enough for all the information you have provided. It has given me an amazing insight into my family history. I am now addicted to researching historical sites and am planning on checking out a few of the family graves, when it stops raining !!

Family gossip only lends towards one of Vera’s brothers being the father of my grandmother Lilian - Thomas seems to be the main suspect due to being a similar age to Alice but perhaps we will never know. Any information on Thomas would be appreciated.
It has been suggested we try the DNA route but need to chat to my mum.

Again thank you so much and a Happy 2024.

Thomas Chapman (b 1899) would become 18 yrs old in July 1918 which made him qualify to be conscripted into WW1.
There is a military record for him on Ancestry. He served from 17th Dec 1917 to 17th Jan 1919 in the Royal Naval Volunteers Reserve stationed on Tyneside. In that time he served on the HMS Victory VI between 21st May 1918 to demob on 17 Jan 1919.

You will find his marriage on Free BMD in Q4 1921 to Dora Blythe. Use Free BMD also to find his children of that marriage (mmn Blythe).
The family is on the 1939 Register
Use Free BMD to find his death.

Do you have Lillian's exact birthdate?

Dave

Hi,
Lilian was born 14 July 1918.
Thanks