Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Alfred Edward Byford Harrop 1874-1878

G'day

I posed this question to Dave via email because I could not log onto the site. I tried another method and voila here I am.

I've got 2 burial records for Alfred and both appear to be the same person.

Burial at Wardsend as per Burial Database and Ancestry Findagrave.
Burial at St Philips - document downloaded from Family Search.
Burial dates, age and family address the same.

Surely they did not put a bit of each in the graves.

Mum, Dad and bro are listed at Wardsend too

Does anyone have an idea why this might have happened? Too many vinos transcribing?

cheers
Leisa

Re: Alfred Edward Byford Harrop 1874-1878

Same problem with father Alfred Edward Harrop
Your site says City Road Cemetery
I've got Wardsend Cemetery same date and right person.

Wife Mary Byford - same as husband

Son John E St Philips Shalesmoor and Wardsend for same date and address etc

St Philips Shalesmoor was destroyed in WW2. The graves were later transferred.

Dave

St Philips was created in 1828 from SS Peter & Paul.

The churchyard was closed for burials in June 1857 (except for interments in family vaults until 1918) Burials after 1857 took place in Wardsend cemetery. St Philip's closed in 1940 and the parish united in 1941 with St Anne. The building was demolished in 1951 and the bodies were removed from the graveyard for the road widening were reburied in Abbey Lane Cemetery, section H.

Angela

Hi

These are the HARROP burials for Wardsend. The service was probably held at st Philips.

HARROP Albert Edward Byford 16 Dec 1878 of Grammar St aged 4+ son of Albert Edward Section H 432
HARROP Elizaberth [sic] 16 Sep 1905 of 12 Lonsdale Rd aged 24 wife of John Thomas Section F 416
HARROP John Ernest 17 Feb 1879 of Grammar St aged 6 son of Albert EdwardSection H 432

Angela

Just as a matter of interest, when the bodies were moved to Abbey Lane were any headstones moved too and was there a ceremony of somekind when the bodies were reinterred or was this done during the hours of darkness in secret.

John S
Just as a matter of interest, when the bodies were moved to Abbey Lane were any headstones moved too and was there a ceremony of somekind when the bodies were reinterred or was this done during the hours of darkness in secret.
A handful of gravestones were moved to cover the plots that were used at Abbey lane. I've only been there once, a few years ago, and at that time they were more or less hidden by bushes and brambles. There are a few photos here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/wardsendcemeteryproject/permalink/1814332715254583

Since that visit I have discovered that there was an earlier re-interment due to road-widening in the 1950s. Those were in the same section of Abbey lane but not the same plots. I don't know if those burial spots are marked.

Hugh

As Angela says, most St Philip's burials after June 1857 took place at Wardsend. It was the official burial ground for the parish so the registers transcribed by FamilySearch (and FMP) come under the parish name. Many of the funeral services will have been held in the cemetery chapel rather than the parish church. The FindAGrave info is mostly taken from one of our databases which we tend to refer to as for 'Wardsend' rather than 'St Philip's'

There is a gravestone on this grave. This is the inscription, slightly summarised and standardised:

H432
ALBERT EDWARD BYFORD son of ALBERT EDWARD and MARY ANN HARROP died 13th December 1878 aged 4 years 6 months
Also JOHN ERNEST their son died 13th February 1879 aged 6 years 4 months
Also ALBERT EDWARD HARROP father of the above died 19th October 1932 aged 87
Also MARY ANN HARROP wife of the above died 10th October 1940 aged 92

I have a photo taken in 2010. Not a very good image because of the traces of ivy roots. I will try and get a more up-to-date image when I am next in the cemetery. Meanwhile I will send you a copy of the 2010 photo.

Hugh

Thanks Hugh for the info, In the new year, weather permitting, I shall try to get to Abbey Lane to look. However as Angela mentioned they were placed in section H but as Abbey Lane has a section H in both general ground and consecrated ground I presume they would have been placed in the consecrated section but could someone confirm pleas.

John

The St Philip's remains are buried in section B (consecrated) at Abbey Lane, against the boundary wall on the Abbey Lane side. I have seen elsewhere the suggestion that they are in sction H but that is incorrect.

I cannot at the moment find the plot numbers (I'm sure I have them somewhere!) but they are in the range B1126 to B1135, just about as far as you can get along the wall from the gate. I have a plot plan of the section from Sheffield Archives and a google satellite image I have labelled with the approximate location, if you would like them.

Hugh

Thank you everyone. I've now managed to make a time line for my Harrops and can update my tree accordingly.

Thank you for the photo Hugh - much appreciated.

The information you all provided made for fascinating reading.
cheers
Leisa