Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lower Wincobank

Hello there,

I wonder if anyone could assist with any available information on the Lower Wincobank Congregational School?

My grandmother attended there in 1904 and I have a book awarded to her as a prize. Although she and her Beadle family were long time residents of Wincobank she left in 1923 following her marriage to my grandfather and took up residence in the Peak District village of Chinley.

I have tried to find some details regarding the school, which I assume was attached or related to a Congregational church, but am constantly redirected to the 'undenominational' chapel and school which I believe is in the care of the Churches Trust. Are these one and the same?

Any assistance gratefully appreciated.

Malcolm Kirk

Re: Lower Wincobank

Try contacting the Friends of Zion Churchyard Attercliffe.

Hi Malcolm,

All the information I have and its not much is for the Chapel.

BUT..... All church registers and school records should have been deposited with Sheffield Archives.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Malcolm,
According to an internet search there is currently an infant/nursery school (ages 3-7) at 72 Newman Road, Lower Wincobank. Which is the same road as Clara (nee Atkinson) and Harry Beadle were living at one point in the early 1900's.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Hi Wendy,

My 1923 Kelly’s has 72 Newman Rd as the Wincobank Public House.
1905 directory on this site has it as a beerhouse.
The Congregational Chapel was somewhere between number 52 and number 72.

Heths

Hi Heather et al,
Thank you for picking up on my error. The current nursery & infant school which is located on Newman Road does not give a number. Upon looking again,The Chamber of Commerce appears to be at #72 but not sure now if the latter is correct, the internet can be an unreliable source. So your pub is the more likely choice for #72.

Cheers, :sleuth_or_spy:

The Old School House is at 2 Norwood Road next door to the demolished ZION congregational Chapel. It is being renovated by the Friends of ZION congregational graveyard.
Dave

Hello and very many thanks for all the very helpful information in response to my initial query.
I do apologise for not acknowledging your assistance earlier, but unfortunately all responses were diverted straight into my ‘spam’ folder and I didn’t notice them!
Your help is truly appreciated.

Malcolm